Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Sinus squeeze

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
    Sounds bad, I have never taken any decongestants ever, do you think that taking a decongestant the night before would help more or less the same as the actual dive day?
    Part of my problem is I have a deviated septum. Got my nose broke once in a fight, go figure. ..the sinus's and ears are still unequal.
    I use a 12 hour antihistamine (personally I use Zrytec-D) in the morning of the dive. I have not had any problem as long as I use the extended release pills. Now I have had problems using the regular sudifed and had a reverse block. OUCH it hurts.

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  2. #22

    Default

    I know some decongestants can increase the risks of DCI however some use different ingredients that are not a condaindicator. It is the same as with motion sickness medicines some are worst than others. I would ask a Doctor for a better understanding.

    Personally I would rather not have the sinus or ear issues and I feel a decongestant is the lesser of the two evils. Just cut back on you PPO2, weaken your mix or shorten your dives.


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Part of my problem is I have a deviated septum. Got my nose broke once in a fight, go figure. ..the sinus's and ears are still unequal.
    I use a 12 hour antihistamine (personally I use Zrytec-D) in the morning of the dive. I have not had any problem as long as I use the extended release pills. Now I have had problems using the regular sudifed and had a reverse block. OUCH it hurts.

    Forget about the sinus squeeze, I want to hear more about the fight! Come on now, you have to give us the "rest of the story"

    Dave Grimm


    Now there was only me and this timeless, eternal cave. I felt part of things, a tolerant guest.
    by Rob Palmer from "Deep Into Blue Holes"

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    is the DCI thing a real issue?
    isn't dan saying now that it's a non-issue?


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    is the DCI thing a real issue?
    isn't dan saying now that it's a non-issue?
    Which DCI thing?


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stroeck View Post
    Which DCI thing?
    the thing about certain decongestants increasing the risk of DCI


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Crying

    I dove The Dunderburg in Lake Huron a few years back with a head cold. Water temp at depth was 38 degrees. Took some sudafed as usual but this time I got a sinus reverse block comming back up at 85 feet. Couldn't clear it after 5 minutes, had to come up. Blew out my right maxillary sinus. Ouch!!!!!!!!!! Bottom line, 6 rounds of antibiotics and major sinus surgery before I could dive without pain. Lesson learned.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts