Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default New Locations to Cavern Dive Please!

    My dive buddy and I live in Asheville, NC and will be in FL next weekend.

    We are cavern rated but love checking out caverns and entrances.

    We have already dove many caverns and most mulitple times:
    Orange Grove
    Peacock
    LR
    Cow
    Madison
    All of MMP,JB, HW, SL, TC, GH(kayaked)
    Jug Hole
    Manatee/Catfish
    Devil's Ear/Eye
    Ginnie
    Cypress(Kayaked)
    Bozell(Kayaked)
    Morrison
    King Spring
    Vortex
    Rainbow River(Found 3 tiny caverns)


    All the commercial stuff Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, Paradise

    So any help pointing us to something new will be appreciapted.

    We would especially like to dive something in Wakulla.

    We have Telford on the list, we plan to Kayak there but are not sure what to do with the boats once there unless we anchor them in the river.

    We do have Buford on the list but we may not travel that far south.

    We will take any help we can get, and don't mind paddling.


    Please feel free to PM me with any info.

    Last edited by Blackchains; 12-03-2009 at 08:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watauga TX
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I know this isn't what you want to hear

    but it sounds like its time for an intro class


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    352

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by fixxervi6 View Post
    I know this isn't what you want to hear

    but it sounds like its time for an intro class

    Couldn't have said it better myself!

    Dave Grimm


    Now there was only me and this timeless, eternal cave. I felt part of things, a tolerant guest.
    by Rob Palmer from "Deep Into Blue Holes"

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver27 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    I agree! I've seen you post this here before. You should check out Walters site http://www.tampadiving.com/sections/...ve_systems.asp tons of places in FL to check out or buy a Ned Deloach Underwater FL book where a lot of caversn, conditions and beach dives in FL are named. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BKSG22.html All helpful in planning!


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BecKave View Post
    I agree! I've seen you post this here before. You should check out Walters site http://www.tampadiving.com/sections/...ve_systems.asp tons of places in FL to check out or buy a Ned Deloach Underwater FL book where a lot of caversn, conditions and beach dives in FL are named. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BKSG22.html All helpful in planning!
    Yup, Walter has a great site with lots of info, especially for those not familiar with the area.

    Dave Grimm


    Now there was only me and this timeless, eternal cave. I felt part of things, a tolerant guest.
    by Rob Palmer from "Deep Into Blue Holes"

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackchains View Post

    We have Telford on the list, we plan to Kayak there but are not sure what to do with the boats once there unless we anchor them in the river.
    Don't waste your time with Telford... Not much, if any, of a cavern there...

    You gonna be there for a weekend. Why not try to get an instructor to do intro over the weekend ? At least, you'll get to see some caves while getting a step ahead on your training.

    The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chimie007 View Post
    Don't waste your time with Telford... Not much, if any, of a cavern there....
    What do you mean? Is it too cold for a tailgate party, 99.9 gator country?

    Visit Croakers Hole, gators are already sleeping and it should be plenty of fish there. Don't throw away snorkeling opps either: Silver Glen and Alexander. There is a cavern in Blue Spr. Orange City but it could be already closed for sea cows arrival. I love caverns they have both - dark and light matter in one place.

    ARY (Photo, video)

  8. #8

    Default

    Thank for the input so far.

    Belive me I live on Walter's site and I a have worn DeLoach's book out.

    The Intro Class is a little more difficult.

    We don't have doubles and want to purchase and become comfortable with them before we move forward with trainng.

    There is the H valve option but again unless we buy tanks, this is difficult. Rental gear with H vavles has in my experiience so far been hard to find.

    So for now we keep seeking out new caverns and go on the cheap. I do agree it is probably time to move on, I/we just need MONEY?

    So having said that, can anyone recommend something new to visit, no cavern is to small, that just leave time for another dive.

    Thanks again for your input!


  9. #9

    Default

    Did you contact WCDC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackchains View Post
    Thank for the input so far.

    Belive me I live on Walter's site and I a have worn DeLoach's book out.

    The Intro Class is a little more difficult.

    We don't have doubles and want to purchase and become comfortable with them before we move forward with trainng.

    There is the H valve option but again unless we buy tanks, this is difficult. Rental gear with H vavles has in my experiience so far been hard to find.

    So for now we keep seeking out new caverns and go on the cheap. I do agree it is probably time to move on, I/we just need MONEY?

    So having said that, can anyone recommend something new to visit, no cavern is to small, that just leave time for another dive.

    Thanks again for your input!


  10. #10
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    If you have one or two friends that you are diving with, you might consider going in together on one doubles set up. Then you could at least take turns and get some dives with it until you're ready to buy more and take intro.

    I would definitely try to be headed that direction in some fashion, it will open up many more options for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackchains View Post
    Thank for the input so far.

    Belive me I live on Walter's site and I a have worn DeLoach's book out.

    The Intro Class is a little more difficult.

    We don't have doubles and want to purchase and become comfortable with them before we move forward with trainng.

    There is the H valve option but again unless we buy tanks, this is difficult. Rental gear with H vavles has in my experiience so far been hard to find.

    So for now we keep seeking out new caverns and go on the cheap. I do agree it is probably time to move on, I/we just need MONEY?

    So having said that, can anyone recommend something new to visit, no cavern is to small, that just leave time for another dive.

    Thanks again for your input!



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 01:57 PM
  2. ABWA - Dive Report - One dive closer to cavern!
    By mwhities in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM
  3. Where to cavern dive with doubles?
    By sclakediver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 12:03 AM
  4. Cheap or free cavern dive sites?
    By andrebasso in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts