Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Branford
    Age
    79
    Posts
    856

    Default "Best" cave mask

    OK: I'm looking for a mask with the best possible vertical view, followed by lateral and then lower. And a good fit wouldn't be bad.

    It seems all the reviews I have found are full of lower view, lateral view but nothing about upper view (where the ceiling is)

    I'd really appreciate hearing from all of you with your opinions.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    College Station Texas
    Posts
    178

    Default

    I always know where the celing is, I either hear it or feel it

    Human Evolution makes me wonder: from HomoErectus to HomeSapiens, from Dry Caves to Wet Caves. Nevertheless, from HomoErectus to HomeSapiens, from Org. Caves still to Org. Caves! DAMN ...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    5

    Default frameless is the way to go

    IMHO, the way to go would be a frameless mask. Last summer I bought a frameless mask, the popular design that most companies brand as their own. It sits much, much closer to my face than any framed mask ever has. My field of view has improved at least 50%. After using this new mask, I feel like my view is very restricted using my original mask. There are now newer styles of the frameless masks out that mimic the x-vision style of masks, with a drop-style bottom of the lense to further improve the field of view. Anyway, it's one thing for you to look into at least. Your mileage may vary though.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Valdosta,Ga
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Well honestly I dive the Hydro-Optix mask and i love it. It looks funky as hell but I will be the 1st to highly recomend it as I have tried lots and paid lots for all types and the view you get with this is awesome and with no refraction at all if it looks like you can touch it guess what you can, no more guess work. I have bought lots and I have never ever liked one like this one. I wear contacts and with diving I haad to get prescription mask to be able to dive and they started getting exspensive so my friend let me test his out so I took up the offer and bought one the next day. The mask is what you would probably consider a High Volume mask and I must admitt it is not pretty to look at but I dive to be comfortable not to be a fashion statement. I was affraid to try it at 1st cause of the High Volume but it turned out to be fine. I have dove Devils Ear, Devil's Eye, Little River, And Telford with it and I have never had a problem with it trying to pull off the mask or anything as a matter of fact it is better in High Flow systems than any other mask I have used. And man oh man what a field of view. Now if you do not wear glasses or you do not have an Astigmatism you probably won't want to try it cause you have to wear a Neg- 5 pair of contacts but if your sight is inpaired then they are awesome.

    Check them out at http://www.hydrooptix.com/

    (All give some, Some give ALL . Semper Fi) Safe Diving (JAMMER)

  5. #5
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    This is a great line... off of the Hydro Optix site...

    Flat Masks Block over
    75% of Your Vision
    Your flat scuba mask relies
    on 1,000-year-old technology.
    Glaucoma patients on full
    disability have better in-air
    vision than what divers experience
    underwater with flat diving masks.



    Guess I better apply for disability...

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  6. #6
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    BTW... if you have 20/20 vision, those HydroOptix masks require you to wear contact lenses...

    um, no thanks... I'll stick to my low volume "flat mask"... 8)

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg
    BTW... if you have 20/20 vision, those HydroOptix masks require you to wear contact lenses...

    um, no thanks... I'll stick to my low volume "flat mask"... 8)
    While on the subject of Masks, just what is the attraction of "low volumn styles"...I can see their application in extreme Free Diving; less lung gas to equalize squeeze...

    All Tech gear rooted in the Hogarthian tradition is (usually) easily fathomed (excuse Pun) as to reasoning, but I've never seen a logic-based argument for the minimal mask...Is it the lower x-section in high flow stuff?

    FWIW, my first favorive mask in the early '80's was the Dacor "drooping dogbone"...tres' rakish; looked like the wearer had just arrived on a HALO drop from a Herkie at FL 300...leaked like a sieve, but I thought I looked MARVELOUS!

    Norm in Jax
    (having come from the time in which Silicon Masks were marketed and used BEFORE we discovered SoftScrub)


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer
    I have never had a problem with it trying to pull off the mask or anything as a matter of fact it is better in High Flow systems than any other mask I have used. And man oh man what a field of view.
    Well this is very intriguing although for high flow i would test it in Manatees or Alexander since LR is just a breeze not a real wind. Another thing is its size looks kinda bulky? And when some passage looks 34% larger than it is in reality it calms down my stress so my thumb stays in fist not sticking out early I would like to try this product though.

    For those of us who need glasses classic DR, OMS or similar design two window low volume mask is the best IMHO. One reason: correction lenses are safer than contacts, the last can be washed out by accident (mentioned high flow). Also aging makes a need to have magnifying pieces to see instruments-another reason for 2-windows. I personally stick for a while with Oceanic Shadow frameless (the only mask or backup when doing solo) and wear contacts. It's only because of cost to install correction lenses in my other mask (insurance covers my contacts but for some reason they don't pay for mask lenses ). After i will have lenses installed my Shadow will serve as a good backup mask since it is very compact.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default Best cave diving mask


    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY
    Quote Originally Posted by jammer
    I have never had a problem with it trying to pull off the mask or anything as a matter of fact it is better in High Flow systems than any other mask I have used. And man oh man what a field of view.
    Well this is very intriguing although for high flow i would test it in Manatees or Alexander since LR is just a breeze not a real wind. Another thing is its size looks kinda bulky? And when some passage looks 34% larger than it is in reality it calms down my stress so my thumb stays in fist not sticking out early I would like to try this product though.

    For those of us who need glasses classic DR, OMS or similar design two window low volume mask is the best IMHO. One reason: correction lenses are safer than contacts, the last can be washed out by accident (mentioned high flow). Also aging makes a need to have magnifying pieces to see instruments-another reason for 2-windows. I personally stick for a while with Oceanic Shadow frameless (the only mask or backup when doing solo) and wear contacts. It's only because of cost to install correction lenses in my other mask (insurance covers my contacts but for some reason they don't pay for mask lenses ). After i will have lenses installed my Shadow will serve as a good backup mask since it is very compact.
    When I started the re-cert trail on '03, I realized that I had "run out of Arm" visually...Although I've worn glasses since '58, UW the refractive index had bailed out my vision for gauges and such. During OW re-cert, I rapidly found out I could not read actual gauge numbers, and my Vyper was an expensive wrist charm...when I first housed my 5050, my composition style was to put the bright blur on a Golden Third sweet-spot against a dark blur, and fix framing with PhotoShop topside...

    Asking around the cognescienti in Jax, I was refered to a DYNAMITE Optician who, it turned out, actually worked out of my Opthamologist's office...pricey, but this dude would not fit me until I brought in my mask and housing...the inserts are bifocal in the sense that there is a whole lens correction, AND a second 'script smaller and lower SPECIFICALLY for gauge and camera use...my, oh MY, the UW world looks better NOW!

    Norm



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts