Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Default

    I've never had the opportunity to see or swim through any Hydrogen Sulfide myself, but from what I understand it leaches right through your skin and can actually be pretty harmful if you spend too much time exposed to it. I've also heard people say that it tastes like rotten eggs as soon as you swim into a layer of it.

    A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    - Anonymous

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have swam through HS layers, and found lots more cave under them. FWIW, that stuff is TOXIC!. Not just to you, but also your gear. I have had to replace stainless steel parts in my backup regulators because they rusted. No Russell, I didn't forget to rinse my gear
    I have a silver necklace that turned black after a dive through a HS layer. I have tried to clean it, but without an ultrasonic cleaner it is still not really clean.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crpearson View Post
    I've never had the opportunity to see or swim through any Hydrogen Sulfide myself, but from what I understand it leaches right through your skin and can actually be pretty harmful if you spend too much time exposed to it. I've also heard people say that it tastes like rotten eggs as soon as you swim into a layer of it.
    Yep, that is a good way to tell that is what you are in. It is more smell than taste, though. Yes, it does irritate your skin, and eyes. Your best bet is to swim through it ASAP, and wear a drysuit. I was in a wetsuit one time, and it wasn't much fun!

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    96

    Default

    In this particular cenote, the sulfide layer sits at around 90 ft, and there is a narrow cave that drops to around 180 ft deep with little penetration overhead. I kinda got the impression that it's full of sulfide, but I could be wrong on that. The island is the tip of a pretty large debris pile that fills most of the bottom. Here's a profile map

    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% mortality rate." -Richard Pyle

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    *Typically*, the HS layer isn't very thick, from a few inches, to a few feet. It probably depends oh how much organic debris is available.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #16

    Default

    DefinItely not the bottom, the bottom is around 196 feet. Magical place, beautiful dive. The hydrogen sulfide layer is about 5-10 feet thick.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    End of the Oregon Trail, OR
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omicron View Post
    It's gotta be the bottom of the cave. With all that vegetation in the system it must be rotting and producing the sulfide. At least that is my guess.
    . Pretty neat.
    It is not the bottom, the HS layer is at around 110' FFW below the layer which is about 8-10' thick is salt water. the cenote is 180+' deep.


    VERY cool dive!
    Brad


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Huh, thanks for the feedback. Looks like an absolutely amazing dive.

    Everyone spends the first nine months of life in water. The lucky ones make frequent return visits.

  9. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I can't get to the pics, but I have experienced HS in a blue hole in the bahamas. Definitley spiked my narcosis on air back in the day.

    "Is this thing on?"

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Hello,
    I red your comment.Well nice information sharing,i must say.I am really pleased to see such article sharing at the community.Many people are just start the activity as craze,but the information that you have shared is must known to them.Please try to share more articles like this one,that is really superb.Thank you for sharing such nice post..



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts