Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    I frog kick about 99% of the time in all my diving. The remaining 1% is a shuffle kick in very low passage.

    I find frog kicking very comfortable and have never had any pain or injury from it, even though I'm 51, too fat, and have old ski patrolman's knees. On the other hand, I find flutter kicking awkward, tiring, and it makes my knees and my quads ache.

    Mike


  2. #22
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    I fractured my pelvis this summer from a bike crash. It hurts where my leg attaches to my body (groin area) after frog kicking for a while. I don't know if the pre-existing injury counts.


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    I fractured my pelvis this summer from a bike crash. It hurts where my leg attaches to my body (groin area) after frog kicking for a while. I don't know if the pre-existing injury counts.
    Thank, it'll be noted.

    I"m not doing a huge research project on it, i just need to name a few common injuries. Plus I was curious.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    I have 9 screws and a plate in my right ankle from breaking it in high school... I get very throbbing ache in the ankle while frog kicking in cold water... not any issues in NFL caves since the water is warmer. I also broke my other leg when I was younger... same type of "arthritic" pains, if you can call it that, but only attributed to the frog kick motion in cold water... I usually result to a modified flutter in those situations.


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    My knee hurts sometimes, its infrequent and inconsistant???


  6. #26

    Default

    Sore muscles after very long swims or many days of diving.


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default frog kick injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    Bursitis in the hips. My ortho says it's brought on and aggravated by my frog kicking and why can't I just do a flutter??? Um....no Doc, it doesn't work that way.
    ??Are we talking about injuries caused by frog kicking or injuries that prevent someone from doing a proper frog kick???

    My frog kick's kind of weird and befuggered. Some people laugh at it or have asked me about it, although I don't [usually] silt. "Correctly" frog kicking and turning the soles of my feet together produces groin pain on the affected side. Consequently I look like a spastic choo-choo train!

    The original injury?? Trauma to the right hip and (according to at least one orthopod), aseptic necrosis of that hip, gotten by sking. Swimming laps helped that injury (I was on crutches for > 1 year).

    Of course, swimming laps can cause other injuries (shoulder pain with the overhand stroke). Anything repetitive can produce repetitive stress injury, so if we're gonna use that argument, we might as well all stay in bed.

    Then there is always time passing and wear and tear on the joints, otherwise known as normal aging.

    But what's the alternative?? We need to keep moving or we'll die!
    Barbara


  8. #28
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    Yes it is wrong - I was only trying to be friendly...

    Mike
    Slapped? You must not be doing it right.



    As far as frog kicking, I've experienced calf and hamstring cramps, exacerbated by cold.


  9. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavedivingwoman View Post
    The original injury?? Trauma to the right hip and (according to at least one orthopod), aseptic necrosis of that hip, gotten by sking. Swimming laps helped that injury (I was on crutches for > 1 year).
    Dang! That sucks! I was only on crutches for 3-1/2 weeks. I just went back to the orthopedist because it was still hurting 4 months later (intermittantly). He said, "That's normal. It will hurt for a year or two when it rains or it gets cold. Only a few people will have pain for the rest of their lives."

    Fortunately, he said I can keep on doing the activities and it won't make me worse. It'll just hurt.


  10. #30
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmufieldhockey8 View Post
    I'm about to do a biomechanics project on the modified frog kick and I need some common injuries. I've come up with MCL pain and calf cramps. Anybody else had any issues? Thanks!

    MCL is pretty strong,but I do know of couple people who had pain which was in the pes anserinus region,which is probably a bursitis of this region,which could mimic MCL issues. I think one of the genius behind the frog kick is it mimics PNF type diagonals which utilize stronger muscle groups,so each ending point prepares you for the next cycle. Other injuries...tight IT band could cause lateral leg pain...anterior tibialis tendonitis (shin spints)

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Similar Threads

  1. The Silent Injury
    By JE in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM
  2. Frog kicks and knee pain
    By Jay M in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 01:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts