Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Thanks for the new line at Hill400

    There are always someone who work for cave community. As a diver who just enjoying 'ready to dive' tunnels, I'd like to appreciate all divers who putting effort to maintain the lines.

    I noticed and checked hole new line at Hill400 today, You guys are rock!

    Daehag.

    -------------------
    Daehag Kim

  2. #2
    Memorial - RIP Jack!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    198

    Cave Diver Arrow Line Pups

    THANKS Daehag! Bad Boy Jeffie and I put it in last week. It's #72, much easier to see and a little thicker in diameter than what was there. Same stuff we used to replace the white line from the end of where the Gold Line used to terminate at 3800 ft after the Hinkel down to where the "No DPV" slate is. If we have to have white line back there on that route, at least it's thicker. I think it was a big mistake to pull the gold from that route as several divers have had some navigation issues since it was removed. I think the slate, along with the fact that it is now common knowledge in the Cave Community that there are to be no DPV's back there (unless there is a good reason) is good enough!

    We plan on doing Sweet Surprise and the Double Lines sometime next week.

    I have never had more fun doing this line replacement gig. Jeff unties the old and then sets the new line right next to it. I follow, reeling up the old line and putting the arrows on the new as I go. We work about 100-200 feet apart. Great buoyancy practice, that's for damn sure. We made it to the Skid Row jump the first day and then on to the Double Domes jump the next. You should see how that rat's nest of a reel with the old line looks when we come out. Kind of a "Badge of Honor" to carry it out...telling folks at the platform "guess I messed my reel up."

    Crazy Jackie Gregory for "Jumpin Jack" Gregory
    Marietta, GA
    [email protected]
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jumpin-j...ory/27/452/b80
    Working hard to get the following message from every Forum!!:
    "You have been banned for the following reason:
    Continued Disrespect"

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickydeco View Post
    It's #72, much easier to see and a little thicker in diameter than what was there. Same stuff we used to replace the white line from the end of where the Gold Line used to terminate at 3800 ft after the Hinkel down to where the "No DPV" slate is. If we have to have white line back there on that route, at least it's thicker. I think it was a big mistake to pull the gold from that route as several divers have had some navigation issues since it was removed.
    I have to ask, how does the color of the line cause a navigational issue (I'm guessing visual jumps?)?

    But either way, the sign is dead obvious. If anyone scooters past it, they're knowingly breaking the rule, I fail to see what benefit white line adds. It simply seems like change for the sake of change to me.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    I have to ask, how does the color of the line cause a navigational issue (I'm guessing visual jumps?)?
    The fact you have to ask tells me that the whole concept of gold line isn't working very well.

    The gold line is supposed to be the "beginner" line. The idea is new divers stay on the gold line, and only have one navigation decision, in or out.

    If you are scootering on gold line, and look down and see white line, the first assumption is you accidentally made a jump.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    The gold line is supposed to be the "beginner" line.
    If that's the idea, we need to cut it back a lot closer to the entrance than 3100ft, no?

    :run and hide:

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    If that's the idea, we need to cut it back a lot closer to the entrance than 3100ft, no?

    :run and hide:
    I said that was the idea. My only guess about the length at Devil's Eye is, it is for beginning scooter drivers too

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7
    Memorial - RIP Jack!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    I have to ask, how does the color of the line cause a navigational issue (I'm guessing visual jumps?)?
    There have been past threads on the issue but to sum, it's more a "comfort issue" than anything else for most. There are a few routes where the old gold line could be seen thru the rocks and it's just nice to know it's there! Easy to immediately identify. Plus, change sucks..haha

    Jack

    Crazy Jackie Gregory for "Jumpin Jack" Gregory
    Marietta, GA
    [email protected]
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jumpin-j...ory/27/452/b80
    Working hard to get the following message from every Forum!!:
    "You have been banned for the following reason:
    Continued Disrespect"

  8. #8
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stickydeco View Post
    Plus, change sucks
    A truer statement cannot be made.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Gold Line
    By metaldector in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2016, 10:11 AM
  2. Need some line
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 07:21 PM
  3. Lost from line together
    By alias in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 01:11 PM
  4. line meeting
    By ltb7733 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 09:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts