Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Ben, I think this is what you are looking for.

    http://gumbopages.com/food/seafood/craw-boil.html
    Some good recepies in there though!


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default paperwork

    Nearly every cave system has a species of crayfish unique to that system. You can't fill in a sinkhole without killing off a bunch of them, but then with all the sinkholes around there's no way to know if you eliminated a species or a local population. Also, until the species finds its way on a government list, it officially does not exist. If you miss the townhall meeting, fail to mention the existence of a species to officials, etc., well, no one will ever know.

    Development is filling in sinkholes every day - no telling how many in any one area, let alone a state. We've seen sinkholes filled in quite a bit around here - and we know they contain a species of cavefish that is unique to this area, on the "in need of management" list of the state and federal EPA. Yet still they fill em in....

    I wrote a short article awhile back on cave crayfish - it was published in the NACD journal and it's posted on the NACD website. It includes a few references for further reading. Jennifer Buhay, a cave biologist (Indiana University; [email protected]), specializes in cave crayfish, send her an email.

    I also have a couple of articles, but too long to attach to a pm. email me at [email protected] and I'll email what I have to you.

    -skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Thanks Skip, I will send you an email later tonight



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts