Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    148

    Default Procambarus orcinus

    Does anyone have any information about Procambarus orcinus aka Woodville Karst Crayfish?

    Diving the Wakulla area today I found one about 4 inches in length carrying eggs and now I'm interested in learning more about them. If I cant find info I may start to research them to gain some more knowledge on the critters in our systems.

    Thanks
    Ben


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NE FL
    Age
    39
    Posts
    211

    Default

    probably not much more info than you already know, but this crayfish taxonomy site is pretty cool:

    http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/crayfish/N...s=orcinus&ssp=


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Thanks for the info. Yes the site is vague and doesent provide a whole lot on them. Anyone else have any good suggestions/links?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Ben, I think this is what you are looking for.

    http://gumbopages.com/food/seafood/craw-boil.html

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    If I recall the 1985(?) edition of Bremleyana has something. Can't recall for sure which issue.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    37

    Default

    http://www.sil.si.edu/smithsoniancon.../SCTZ-0244.pdf

    a report on the troglobitic decapods crustaceans.....it's a big file....pg 132 has info on the P. orcinus.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Thanks Guys! If you come up with anything else let me know!

    OFG.....Thinking of having a big Crawdaddy boil for one of the WCDC meetings in the near future. Thanks for the recipie! Of course the woodville karst crayfish isnt going to be on the menu


  8. #8
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgillespie82 View Post
    Thinking of having a big Crawdaddy boil for one of the WCDC meetings in the near future.
    I know where you can get a bunch of little white ones.







    (Ooh, I get the feeling I'm going to pay for that one.)

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I know where you can get a bunch of little white ones.
    Do they turn red when you boil 'em?

    Mike


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    148

    Default

    The little white guys wont be worth it. We need the mill pond guys



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts