Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Log Book Pages

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    279

    Default



  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You guys are too funny! I have over 1000 cavedives in one notebook. I use a half size ring binder, and get about 25 dives per page.
    At your age I bet you can't read them anymore.

    Experience: the most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. C.S. Lewis

  3. #13

    Default Dive Log Journals

    I did not start logging my dives until after I got officially certified. I put a small note in the front of my log book though that I had dove for x number of years but since I could not possibly remember them all I just skipped them and started anew.
    And since I am, as I tell people, a 'recovering' journalist, I like to write and I tend to fill up whatever space allotted in my log book.
    (I usually try to beat the waitress to finish writing before my BBQ comes at the Alachua Sonny's but I usually don't make it....)
    I am careful to log and write about every dive as long as it is over 20 minutes although sometimes I consolidate dives done when I'm working as it is next to impossible to differentiate between dives when you are going up and down a lot in a water tank, etc.
    In addition to logging the dives in my dive log I also log them online as well as download them from my Nitek HE. (I confess to sometimes misjudging the dives and missing some when the HE erases over some of the older dives.)
    And yes, I do go back and use the information for some of my dives but even if I didn't I still consider it an important part of my dive regime.

    Last edited by WEPIV; 10-19-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    918

    Default

    There are logs of software divelogs availiable on the internet. I like to have downloadable time/date/profile at the least though.

    ReefNet's Sensus is a nice cheap time/depth logger and free software that covers the basics. The Sensus divelog is not bad - or it has a paid for upgrade that doesn't add much in the way of tracking gases.

    Finding software that handles multiple tanks/gases is pretty rare. I wrote software to extract data from my old Bridge II divelog into a spreadsheet.

    Liquivision's X1 / Vplanner Live dive computer and divelog software are extremely nice. It logs almost anything you can imagine automatically, tracks upto 10 gases, etc.

    Nothing but the headers from my Bridge divelog export - Blank divelog XLS:
    Attached Files


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    563

    Default Log Book Pages

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    My girlfriend makes fun of my log book OCD, but its true, I have logged every dive for the past 10 years since open water checkouts and will continue for the next ten years and so on... however I am sick of "writing" it all down... My log book page has about 25% dedicated to data (bottom time, gas mixes, depth, run time, etc) and the other 75% is just lined for my notes. I look at my log books as more of a personal journal with a bit of dive data sprinkled on top, however I write so much (being an english major and all) I like to write the story of my dive day and events surrounding... so, what I'm getting at is, does anyone have a digital/computer based log book page with about the same data/notes space ratio as I mentioned above that I can simply use as a template... the catch is, I want to be able to click on a box, better yet tab to it, and just type in whatever the data is, including my lines of notes. I am not a wiz with word or excell, so I thought I would fish and see if anyone had one they created or found that was working well. please post the attachment if you do! or PM/email me! Thanks

    -Matt
    At present, since I am still taking training classes, I log every dive. In fact, redundantly, as I'd write a page in my standard log book, and also incorporate the data from my computer (1st a Pro Plus 2 Air integrated), and now an X1. Of course, I keep all my computer logs loaded in it's appropriate DB.

    But here's the thing. Paper logging is one thing. Having the paper logs signed, verified etc. by your buddy/DM/Instructor etc. is something different! How many of you still do that????? As stated, I still do because I'm taking training (I'm into my cavern program), and will continue to log manual pages with verification for some time, even though I have the X1, which is an excellent logger and prints very pretty pictures of the profile.

    Perhaps, once I get through all the training for which I'll need verifiable logs, then I'll revert solely to the computer. But until then............


  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mag3 View Post
    But here's the thing. Paper logging is one thing. Having the paper logs signed, verified etc. by your buddy/DM/Instructor etc. is something different! How many of you still do that?????
    Nope. Stopped doing that long before I was an instructor.

    Richard Blackburn
    All comments are my own.

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MengTze View Post
    That is what; 200 dives/year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I was going to say ten dives a year...

    Ho, Ho, Ho!

    FWIW, that is only my most recent logbook, I have 3 older ones.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mag3 View Post
    But here's the thing. Paper logging is one thing. Having the paper logs signed, verified etc. by your buddy/DM/Instructor etc. is something different! How many of you still do that?????
    Having a log book signed by your buddy is not really different. If someone wants to bump up the number of dives they do, how hard is it to forge a signature on a log?


  9. #19

    Default

    This is Mat's way of keeping "the folder" out of some hackers hands and selling off his secrets. Lol


    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    I used to use half sheet sized logs, but kept data on one side, and the backs purely for my notes(I take lots of notes and even draw silly crap on occassion). It ended up being too much of a hassle and I often still ran out of room for notes.

    If notes are important to you, either go completely digital and make backups as not to be confined by a set amount of space...

    or... my current method.



    I can take up as many pages as I like, sure, I have to hand write the data, but it really doesn't take long. I log everything as well.


  10. #20
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    I log every dive, but have never had a buddy sign it.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Log in Problems
    By JDR in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts