Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Log Book Pages

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default Log Book Pages

    My girlfriend makes fun of my log book OCD, but its true, I have logged every dive for the past 10 years since open water checkouts and will continue for the next ten years and so on... however I am sick of "writing" it all down... My log book page has about 25% dedicated to data (bottom time, gas mixes, depth, run time, etc) and the other 75% is just lined for my notes. I look at my log books as more of a personal journal with a bit of dive data sprinkled on top, however I write so much (being an english major and all) I like to write the story of my dive day and events surrounding... so, what I'm getting at is, does anyone have a digital/computer based log book page with about the same data/notes space ratio as I mentioned above that I can simply use as a template... the catch is, I want to be able to click on a box, better yet tab to it, and just type in whatever the data is, including my lines of notes. I am not a wiz with word or excell, so I thought I would fish and see if anyone had one they created or found that was working well. please post the attachment if you do! or PM/email me! Thanks

    -Matt


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default i'm picky

    i might as well get really picky in case the page I want exists or you might feel like creating it... I'm looking for a 1/2 sheet size page (so I can print 4 dives per sheet of paper- front and back) and the only data I really care to be on there is: dive number, cave dive number, date, temp (water/air), gases (up to 4 gases, mix, start/end pressure), dive location/site, conditions/weather, dive purpose. Anybody have free time and a master of microsoft programs... give it a whirl!


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    246 Bubbleless Cove
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Try the sensus ultra from Reefnet..... logs all data and has a desktop app.

    Meng Tze
    -Homo Bonae Voluntatis

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    I used to use half sheet sized logs, but kept data on one side, and the backs purely for my notes(I take lots of notes and even draw silly crap on occassion). It ended up being too much of a hassle and I often still ran out of room for notes.

    If notes are important to you, either go completely digital and make backups as not to be confined by a set amount of space...

    or... my current method.



    I can take up as many pages as I like, sure, I have to hand write the data, but it really doesn't take long. I log everything as well.

    Last edited by SuPrBuGmAn; 10-20-2009 at 08:45 AM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    You guys are too funny! I have over 1000 cavedives in one notebook. I use a half size ring binder, and get about 25 dives per page.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    I like my notes!


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    246 Bubbleless Cove
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You guys are too funny! I have over 1000 cavedives in one notebook. I use a half size ring binder, and get about 25 dives per page.
    That is what; 200 dives/year?

    Meng Tze
    -Homo Bonae Voluntatis

  8. #8
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    I was going to say ten dives a year...



    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    59
    Posts
    857

    Default

    I will admit that I suck at logging dives and have not even down loaded one of my VR3's in the last three or four years. If I can find it though I made an spread sheet that will fit exactly what you want. It has more information available for notes if you want to use it in PC form but is set up to print 4 dives per side of a standard sheet of paper and even has room for holes to keep it in a binder. When you use it on the computer the Notes cell links to Access and you can write or attach anything you want within the cell and recall it quickly for review. Tracks gas, stages, mix, O2, CNS, etc on the paper version as well.

    The bad part is that it is on a very old computer that is running extremely slow. I am out of work and have more time on my hands than usual so I will take some time and see if I can locate it.

    Bobby

    Bobby

    The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

    Local Zip Code Diver

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lake City FL
    Posts
    1,092

    Default Dive Log

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    My girlfriend makes fun of my log book OCD, but its true, I have logged every dive for the past 10 years since open water checkouts and will continue for the next ten years and so on... however I am sick of "writing" it all down... My log book page has about 25% dedicated to data (bottom time, gas mixes, depth, run time, etc) and the other 75% is just lined for my notes. I look at my log books as more of a personal journal with a bit of dive data sprinkled on top, however I write so much (being an english major and all) I like to write the story of my dive day and events surrounding... so, what I'm getting at is, does anyone have a digital/computer based log book page with about the same data/notes space ratio as I mentioned above that I can simply use as a template... the catch is, I want to be able to click on a box, better yet tab to it, and just type in whatever the data is, including my lines of notes. I am not a wiz with word or excell, so I thought I would fish and see if anyone had one they created or found that was working well. please post the attachment if you do! or PM/email me! Thanks

    -Matt
    Guy Bryant wrote a program for dive logs a long time ago and has ported it to Windows. Its set up for cave divers in it is designed for details and lets you include photos, video or downloads of dives if its text. All he asked was a small donation to the Cave Museum. Its in a data base format so its real easy to search and find dives with certain statistics. It is on here somewhere if you search it or send him an e-mail and he will probably send it to you to try with some sort of restriction until you get a key. His e-mail is [email protected]. I'll send him a note and see if he can post a link to his software program again. It is really the only logging software designed for cave divers that I know of so far.

    Tom



 

Similar Threads

  1. Log in Problems
    By JDR in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts