Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast & FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    561

    Default Stage Diving: What are you doing?

    Ok, so not to completely hijack the other thread lets start a new one. How are you diving stages and why? Please be more specific then just 3rds or 1/2 +200, say what you plan for your stage and your BG. I would like to see what you are doing for a swimming single stage dive, swimming multiple stage dive, scooter single stage and scooter multiple stage dive. Let’s see how this goes.

    Anthony Tedeschi
    Narc'ed Diving
    Instagram: @narceddiving

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    From my post on TDS in a similar thread-
    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    Here's how I see it. I haven't taken a stage course though, so you're probly more qualified to answer your own question than I am.

    My numbers MIGHT be off here, I didn't double check them, and I barely escaped Physics 1 with a C, struggled through Calc 1, and had to retake discrete math, so be warned that math isn't my thing.

    Let's do the math with cave filled 104's-
    * Penetration cu ft = Volume / Rated Pressure * (Fill Pressure / 3) * 2 (since we’re using doubles)
    * Penetration cu ft = 104/2650*(3600/3) * 2
    * Penetration cu ft = 104/2650*1200*2
    * Penetration cu ft = 94.19 cu ft

    OK now let’s apply that to stage diving:

    A single AL80 holds 77cu ft of gas @ 3000psi (rated pressure), and a cave filled set of double 104’s holds 282 cu ft of gas as shown earlier.

    * Total gas = 77+282 = 359 cu ft

    At turn pressure, you have 2/3 of 282cu ft to share, So 188cu ft of sharable gas since the stage doesn't have any way to share it with a buddy, and at this point, your backgas is *in theory* empty. Let's hope your buddy didn't drop his stage before you did, or this could get bad, at least mathmatically....

    Let’s do this the 1/2+200 way that caused all the controversy earlier this year.

    * Total gas = 77+282 = 359 cu ft
    * We will use 1300psi of the stage, or 33.36 cu ft, dropping it at 1700psi (1/2+200)

    Now, let’s subtract 300psi from back gas before figuring our penetration gas (because this is roughly how far we went over 1/3rds on the stage).

    * (3600-300)/3 = 3300/3 = 1100psi for penetration gas.
    * 104/2650*1100*2 = 86.34 cu ft for penetration gas.

    So, we’re using 86.34+33.36cu ft (119.69) for penetration gas, out of a total of 359cu ft.

    * 359/3 = 119.667 cu ft. This means we’re within .03 cu ft of 1/3 of or total gas volume.

    By diving to 1/2+200 instead of 1/3 of the stage, you’ve increased the volume of gas that you can share exiting the cave by 11 or 12 cuft, AND you’ll have more gas to deal with issues such as entanglement, silt out, a navigational error, etc in the BACK of the cave, where you're most likely to need it.

    I prefer to breathe the stage on the way out as well to ensure I have as much gas as possible in backgas, since it's the only source that the team can share.

    I still think that carrying your stages 100-200ft further than you breathe them instead of dropping them as soon as they hit drop pressure can result in a huge safety margin.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  3. #3
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    I was taught that half plus two and thirds on backgas is as safe as diving thirds and no stages. I'll make the following assumptions for my example:

    Two divers, roughly the same SAC, with the same size doubles filled to 3600, one AL80 apiece filled to 3000, and they drop their stages near each other. Obviously, any differences in these givens will require alterations to the dive plan.

    Worst case scenario: the divers breathe their 80s to 1700 and drop them. They continue on, breathing backgas until 2400. As they turn their dive, one has a total gas failure. The other has 1200psi on his back for each diver. This gets them to their stages, where they breathe them and exit with 400psi left each.

    Obviously this cuts it very close. But so does just plain diving doubles to thirds. This is how I dived for years, and how everybody I dived with did it. Yet people are saying it is unsafe.

    Someone please point out the recklessness. Obviously, the prudent diver will add a little for a fudge factor. But why is this less safe than doubles to thirds?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast & FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I was taught that half plus two and thirds on backgas is as safe as diving thirds and no stages. I'll make the following assumptions for my example:

    Two divers, roughly the same SAC, with the same size doubles filled to 3600, one AL80 apiece filled to 3000, and they drop their stages near each other. Obviously, any differences in these givens will require alterations to the dive plan.

    Worst case scenario: the divers breathe their 80s to 1700 and drop them. They continue on, breathing backgas until 2400. As they turn their dive, one has a total gas failure. The other has 1200psi on his back for each diver. This gets them to their stages, where they breathe them and exit with 400psi left each.

    Obviously this cuts it very close. But so does just plain diving doubles to thirds. This is how I dived for years, and how everybody I dived with did it. Yet people are saying it is unsafe.

    Someone please point out the recklessness. Obviously, the prudent diver will add a little for a fudge factor. But why is this less safe than doubles to thirds?
    Its how I am diving but I bring the stage farther in then when I breathe it and it more stages I use a little more reserve in the last stage tank.

    Anthony Tedeschi
    Narc'ed Diving
    Instagram: @narceddiving

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I was taught that half plus two and thirds on backgas is as safe as diving thirds and no stages. I'll make the following assumptions for my example:

    Two divers, roughly the same SAC, with the same size doubles filled to 3600, one AL80 apiece filled to 3000, and they drop their stages near each other. Obviously, any differences in these givens will require alterations to the dive plan.

    Worst case scenario: the divers breathe their 80s to 1700 and drop them. They continue on, breathing backgas until 2400. As they turn their dive, one has a total gas failure. The other has 1200psi on his back for each diver. This gets them to their stages, where they breathe them and exit with 400psi left each.

    Obviously this cuts it very close. But so does just plain diving doubles to thirds. This is how I dived for years, and how everybody I dived with did it. Yet people are saying it is unsafe.

    Someone please point out the recklessness. Obviously, the prudent diver will add a little for a fudge factor. But why is this less safe than doubles to thirds?

    That's not the worst case scenario. What if one of the divers has a gas failure on the stage bottle as well. If you knock the stage down to breathing a third on the way in (or less), if the team were to use all of one diver's backgas to get back to the stages, they could buddy breath off the one stage to get out.

    If I'm staging while with a team, I'll breath my stage down 1/3 then drop it (or leave it on depending on the cave) that way on the way out, I have the option to just pass that bottle to another person. If I'm staging on a solo dive, I'll double stage it, breath both bottles down a 1/3, then drop them together. I treat it like having two sets of sidemounts for one dive.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast & FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techdvr View Post
    That's not the worst case scenario. What if one of the divers has a gas failure on the stage bottle as well. If you knock the stage down to breathing a third on the way in (or less), if the team were to use all of one diver's backgas to get back to the stages, they could buddy breath off the one stage to get out.

    If I'm staging while with a team, I'll breath my stage down 1/3 then drop it (or leave it on depending on the cave) that way on the way out, I have the option to just pass that bottle to another person. If I'm staging on a solo dive, I'll double stage it, breath both bottles down a 1/3, then drop them together. I treat it like having two sets of sidemounts for one dive.
    It depends on the dive and how many failures you plan for. For a single stage diving swimming I plan single failure. If you are planning bigger dives, or smaller tighter passages you can be more conservative, but I would do it on my BG that is with me, not my stages. BTW have to tried to buddy breath on an exit? It sounds good but I think buddy breathing would slow your exit a good amount.

    Anthony Tedeschi
    Narc'ed Diving
    Instagram: @narceddiving

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I was taught that half plus two and thirds on backgas is as safe as diving thirds and no stages. I'll make the following assumptions for my example:

    Two divers, roughly the same SAC, with the same size doubles filled to 3600, one AL80 apiece filled to 3000, and they drop their stages near each other. Obviously, any differences in these givens will require alterations to the dive plan.

    Worst case scenario: the divers breathe their 80s to 1700 and drop them. They continue on, breathing backgas until 2400. As they turn their dive, one has a total gas failure. The other has 1200psi on his back for each diver. This gets them to their stages, where they breathe them and exit with 400psi left each.

    Obviously this cuts it very close. But so does just plain diving doubles to thirds. This is how I dived for years, and how everybody I dived with did it. Yet people are saying it is unsafe.

    Someone please point out the recklessness. Obviously, the prudent diver will add a little for a fudge factor. But why is this less safe than doubles to thirds?
    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Remember that thirds is only marginally safe anyway. If you have a failure at maximum penetration, Your buddy only has enough gas to barely get you back out.

    Besides, you are only describing a single stage dive, and Andrew was talking about a multi stage dive.


    Actually Forrest, i think that SINGLE stage dives are particularly dangerous for 1/2 + 200,e because it's easy for people to be complacent there. They're arguably just as dangerous as a 5 stage dive.

    Here's the scenario. With thirds, you have JUST enough to get out of the cave. With thirds and 1/2 + 200, you have just enough to get back to your stage... where the emergency now continues. In essence you've now massively increased the period during which resources are critical. There's the old argument that SAC's tend to be high during emergenceis - I've definitely found that to be true. So having a critical resource at that point for the continuation really sucks. You want wiggle room on that tank.

    However if everything goes well and you've reserved more than thirds in that last stage, you either get out... if it's single tank... or you get to the next tank, where hopefully you've now built up a small reserve since you won't ALSO deplete that stage. Hence you have a bit of fat, which you take with you all the way out.

    But it helps to have that bit of fat, whether on one stage or many stages, when furthest back.

    On a related topic - Steve Bogaerts and many other instructors teach to take your stage FURTHER than where you stop breathing it, for two reasons - a) it's available deeper in the cave in an emergency, and b) you can be tidying it up and shutting it down while swimming instead of while stationary. However, there's no point carrying it further if you only have 1/2 + 200 since now you're back on a resource taht won't last you out. So while carrying the stage a bit further makes a LOT of sense, it only makes sense if it has more than 1/2+200 in it.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  8. #8
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techdvr View Post
    What if one of the divers has a gas failure on the stage bottle as well.
    You're talking a double catastrophe. I answer that with what if you're diving no stages, and you have a total gas failure so you turn and share air out. What if your buddy then has a total gas failure?

    A catastrophe is a one-in-a-thousand shot. (Assuming quality gear, properly maintained.) A double catastrophe is one-in-a-million.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #9

    Default

    Now I guess you guys do way more stage diving than me, but I do a fair amount of stage diving involving up to 5 al80's, sometimes more.
    I take my lowest tank pressure and use that to calculate third for all my other tanks and I have always breathed my stages to thirds plus 20bar (for bonus air) and dropped them a bit past that point to overlap. It may be overkill but I feel way safer having way more than enough air for me or my buddy should an ooa emergency arise.
    Having only enough air to get to my next stages and then to the the next set of stages etc.. till you get out is too close for comfort for me.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...But why is this less safe than doubles to thirds?...
    Remember that thirds is only marginally safe anyway. If you have a failure at maximum penetration, Your buddy only has enough gas to barely get you back out.

    Besides, you are only describing a single stage dive, and Andrew was talking about a multi stage dive.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. Stage/Multi-Stage DPV Course: Hitting the Wall
    By Luxrok in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 09:15 PM
  2. Stage Bottle and Stage Kits
    By redbeard in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
  3. “One second stage on each hand but nothing in the
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 10:11 PM
  4. FS: Scubapro MK200 first stage. Argon first stage
    By HomoErectus in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 07:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts