Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: Most Common Mistake

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not following the line close enough

    8 7.69%
  • Not enough planning/prep

    27 25.96%
  • Forgetting Equipment

    19 18.27%
  • Choosing the wrong buddy

    10 9.62%
  • Not checking your gas

    1 0.96%
  • Going the wrong way/getting lost

    1 0.96%
  • Diving over your skill level

    16 15.38%
  • Changing too much equipment at one time

    16 15.38%
  • Not getting enough info on the system

    4 3.85%
  • Taking broken equipment

    2 1.92%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I hear ya... I got a wierd fill in my O2 once, 60% O2 and 5% Helium. Now I analyze even my O2. Occasionally, I get looks like I'm stupid or something when people see me hooking up an analyzer to my O2 bottle. Some shops will even tell you that you can't hook up their analyzer to your O2 bottle because you'll burn out their sensor. Bottom line, everyone that dives a lot of Nitrox should have their own analyzer.
    Yes! Not just Nitrox, whatever gas you're diving, air, 02, mix...make sure it's what you think it is. I received a "free" unexpected 10/50 top-off when I was expecting 32%....from a place using banked gas. Ooops, wrong whip, eh? It was a while ago, but the lesson stuck.

    My most common mistake? Forgetting to bring my overnight bag on dive trips....gear, I got....clothes....ummm...Wal-Mart trip! Well, that, and sometimes I can't find my sunglasses...because I'm wearing them. At least I make my dive buddies feel really smart in comparison

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  2. #22
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Yep, my gym bag is the last thing I throw in the truck. Except the two times it never made it. Wal-Mart!

    I once was gearing up at Ginnie, and I reached for my fins and they weren't there. I remember remarking to the woman who rented me some fins, "You know, I own SEVEN pairs of fins!"

    (This was in my pre-trailer days. I now carry backups of everything in there. Except clothes.)

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    I've forgotten my computer at home several times :P Luckily, my buddies have always bailed me out.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Some shops will even tell you that you can't hook up their analyzer to your O2 bottle because you'll burn out their sensor.
    Seriously???

    Man, every thime I think that dive shop monkeys can't get dumber, a new story comes out to show me wrong...

    (Fortunately almost every cave fill station doesn't fit this description. It's the coastal shops that seem largely to be clueless)

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    It is easy to forget stuff Cristan

    I guess the worst case of me forgetting something was a sump dive in WV. We were 2.5 miles from the entrance. We had crawled, clambered over breakdown, and rappelled 135', to get there. I had failed to pack a mask
    Now that is a sad story. What did you do?

    My worst case was showing up to the dive site an hour early, BS'ing for 50 minutes and then assembling my gear only to realize that I had forgotten my backplate. Fortunately I only live 10 minutes from the beach so my buddies didn't have to wait too long. I rushed home and back to the beach, got everything assembled and noticed that I forgot my drysuit undergarments too. I sucked it up and wore jeans & a t-shirt under the dry suit. Not the most comfortable, but it worked. The kicker to the story is that I had to move the undergarments out of the way to grab the backplate. Was not thinking that morning.

    Bruce Wyrwitzke
    NACD Life Member
    SoCal Tec Divers

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cali Knucklehead View Post
    Now that is a sad story. What did you do?
    There were three divers on that trip. We were supposed to survey beyond the sump. I just told the other two to go ahead without me, and I walked out alone.

    What made matters worse, our "sherpas" had left before they knew about the mask issue. It was the middle of the winter, and they had taken all the vehicles, thinking we would be in there for hours. I had to walk a mile in a snowstorm to the place everyone was staying. My coveralls were clanking together because they were covered with ice, and my beard had icicles in it.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #27
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I had to walk a mile in a snowstorm
    Uphill both ways!

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  8. #28

    Default

    With no wet suit boots.


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Moultrie, Georgia
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    At 11PM before our last day of trimix training dives, I realized the neck seal on my drysuit had dry rotted. The next day, I rented a wetsuit. On the boat (to the Oriskany), I realized I had no booties and my feet were too small for my fins. I learned then that loafers are not a bad substitute for booties.

    Safe diving,

    Sandy Robinson

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    At 11PM before our last day of trimix training dives, I realized the neck seal on my drysuit had dry rotted. The next day, I rented a wetsuit. On the boat (to the Oriskany), I realized I had no booties and my feet were too small for my fins. I learned then that loafers are not a bad substitute for booties.
    I did the hike to buford in flip flops once. followed by doing the dive barefooted with jetfins

    don't ask



 

Similar Threads

  1. H Valve Mistake
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 12:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts