Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Wakulla WTP

  1. #11
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben M View Post
    That's pricing for an annual pass right?

    ...and I noticed you slipped JB in there. Are you refering to Jackson Blue? Forgive my ignorance but what does this have to do with JB? Are they going to change the current system and fee structure?

    Ben
    No that is per dive...please, these are not pricing models per se but rather a way to measure what in economics is called consumer surplus and in marketing it is termed consumer value. We are valuing what are termed public goods and in the case of aquatic caves you can even consider them as common property resources. The private sector does not do a good job at allocating them either way.

    With regard to jb, the survey that many divers received had a segment in it designed to measure demand for that resource as well. Bill

    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Hi, Thought some might be interested in some results from our Wakulla willingness to pay survey...was going to present at the nss/cds meeting but that fell through the cracks. We had over 150 completed surveys and the median willingness to pay for dives at Wakulla State Park were as follows:

    Sally Ward: $74
    Wakulla Cavern: $28.5
    Wakulla Cave: $86.5

    Those estimates are consensus estimates over two different model specifications. Have a lot of supplemental data and we are currently writing up a paper on wakulla and jb. To all those that completed a survey: Thanks. Bill Huth

    Cheap bast*rds. Don't you know one 45 minute non-deco dive to 30 feet in the fish aquarium called DiveQuest "Dive The Living Seas" at Epcot would cost you a good $150? And that's at the "Special" price. hahahhahaha


  3. #13

    Default

    and I thought $20 to dive some of the cave systems in Mexico was expensive. I understand this is an expensive sport but spending $20 on the dive site fee and the savings on a better breathing gas makes more sense to me, if I had $80 to blow on a single dive.

    If you have 200 visitors a year willing to pay $80 for a dive or 1000 visitors a year willing to pay $20 a dive then what do you set your price at???


  4. #14
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWoodsDiver View Post
    and I thought $20 to dive some of the cave systems in Mexico was expensive. I understand this is an expensive sport but spending $20 on the dive site fee and the savings on a better breathing gas makes more sense to me, if I had $80 to blow on a single dive.

    If you have 200 visitors a year willing to pay $80 for a dive or 1000 visitors a year willing to pay $20 a dive then what do you set your price at???
    That's easy, you set your price where marginal cost equals marginal revenue. Seriously, you don't have any cost data so given demand is linear and your 2 points are accurate then demand must be q=1266-13.3p...so at least, in the absence of cost data, we can calculate the revenue maximizing value of price...the revenue function is R(q)=-.075q**2+102.93q and computing the first derivative and setting it equal to zero and solving for q yields a q of 686. So 686 divers with your data maximizes revenue. Substituting that 686 back into the inverse demand function yields a price of $51.50. But remember that is a revenue maximizing price not the profit maximizing price...the profit maximizing price will be higher Somehow, i think you pulled your numbers out of your backside so that makes these numbers something similar. Bill

    Last edited by wingman; 06-08-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    You think $20 is high? I just paid $20 to dive a stinking quarry this weekend. Silty as hell, nothing to see, low vis, cold.... The only reason I dove there was the caves were all blown out, and I had promised to test a new piece of gear.

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWoodsDiver View Post
    and I thought $20 to dive some of the cave systems in Mexico was expensive. I understand this is an expensive sport but spending $20 on the dive site fee and the savings on a better breathing gas makes more sense to me, if I had $80 to blow on a single dive.

    If you have 200 visitors a year willing to pay $80 for a dive or 1000 visitors a year willing to pay $20 a dive then what do you set your price at???

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You think $20 is high? I just paid $20 to dive a stinking quarry this weekend. Silty as hell, nothing to see, low vis, cold.... The only reason I dove there was the caves were all blown out, and I had promised to test a new piece of gear.
    Why didn't you go to Lake Latrine (Lanier)?

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  7. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aw View Post
    Cheap bast*rds. Don't you know one 45 minute non-deco dive to 30 feet in the fish aquarium called DiveQuest "Dive The Living Seas" at Epcot would cost you a good $150? And that's at the "Special" price. hahahhahaha
    Try the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta it is $325,but it is all worth it because you get a certificate and a tshirt.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You think $20 is high? I just paid $20 to dive a stinking quarry this weekend. Silty as hell, nothing to see, low vis, cold.... The only reason I dove there was the caves were all blown out, and I had promised to test a new piece of gear.
    I live in the land of 10,000 lakes and I dont believe I have to pay to dive any of them accept maybe a national park sticker for parking at some and thats $20 a year...

    I've been spoiled with oodles of free local diving and free air and cheap home made nitrox. But the savings is probably how I afforded to buy gear and take classes. No way would I ever pay to dive a quarry or a lake.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthWoodsDiver View Post
    If you have 200 visitors a year willing to pay $80 for a dive or 1000 visitors a year willing to pay $20 a dive then what do you set your price at???
    200*$80 = $16,000
    1000*$20 = $20,000

    Frankly, I'd probly take the 200 visitors. 1/5 of the people to deal with, and 80% of the profit. Realistically, I'd try raising the price on those 200 visitors and see if they'd pay $100 each, so I could do 1/5 the work and have the same profit.

    But then again, I'm unaware of the statute that states private citizens have a right to use any and all state property like most in this thread seem to believe.

    Last edited by jj1987; 06-09-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    200*$80 = $16,000
    1000*$20 = $20,000

    Frankly, I'd proably take the 200 visitors. 1/5 of the people to deal with, and 80% of the profit. Realistically, I'd try raising the price on those 200 visitors and see if they'd pay $100 each, so I could do 1/5 the work and have the same profit.

    But then again, I'm unaware of the statute that states private citizens have a right to use any and all state property like most in this thread seem to believe.
    I just pulled numbers out of my rear for that, I probably should have picked something more extreme like 100 visitors at $100 or 1000 at $20.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Dive Wakulla
    By wingman in forum Polls
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM
  2. Growing up and seeing changes in wakulla
    By ggoodman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM
  3. Wakulla
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Conservation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 06:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts