Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Dorf

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLIM View Post
    That is what I was thinking FW but I could not say for sure and just needed clarification.

    Have to have some one like you be able to validate what us hillbillies up here have to say when we do konw a few things about cave diving.

    SLIM

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I just looked through my logbook. There are no notes about the first use of line arrows, but it had to be well before fall of 1981, because I saw them in use in Ben's cave then. It could have been as early as late 1979, because I put the first arrow in Champion springs, and fall 1979 is showing as my last dive there before 2003. I started selling arrows through the Branford Dive Center, soon after Phil Janca left.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default hold that for next edition!

    ok, thanks! I wonder if jill or bill are taking tidbits to file for the next edition?

    -skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I just looked through my logbook. There are no notes about the first use of line arrows, but it had to be well before fall of 1981, because I saw them in use in Ben's cave then. It could have been as early as late 1979, because I put the first arrow in Champion springs, and fall 1979 is showing as my last dive there before 2003. I started selling arrows through the Branford Dive Center, soon after Phil Janca left.
    Hmmm, I just realized, I sold the first batch of 100 arrows *to* Phil Janca at the Branford Dive Center. I remember, because he said, "I will never be able to sell 100 arrows. There are only 10 caves, and 10 arrows per cave will saturate the market". Talk about Famous Last Words

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #15

    Default

    Any chance there are pictures of these first arrows, and first cookies?


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    Any chance there are pictures of these first arrows, and first cookies?
    The prototype line arrow, and the first arrow ever put in a cave are both at the Cavedivers Museum in the back of Cave Excursions East. I guess I could donate my handmade cookie, unless Danny wants to donate a prototype.

    http://www.dir-mexico.com/bios-danny.htm

    TJ took some pictures in my shop a few years ago, maybe he can post links.

    Last edited by FW; 03-31-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #17
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default


    Last edited by FW; 03-31-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: labeled
    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  8. #18
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    That first one be the beast what tried to eat your hand, Forrest! These photos must be before the blood spatters

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    OOH! OOH! I want that lathe! Tool lust is a terrible thing...

    The disarray and the boxes and shelves covered with dusty stuff looks very like my shop. I keep telling myself that I ought to clean it up, but I'd rather spend what time I have making stuff rather than cleaning.

    Mike

    Last edited by MORGAN; 03-31-2009 at 10:09 AM.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Interesting they are using that article to sell arrows

    It is a pretty good rendition of the story, so I won't add to it. It was in the early '80s.

    Does anyone know the story of the cookie? I have one of the original handmade cookies. It was given to me by the designer, Daniel Riordan. I don't know why he didn't just use the slot design of the arrow, but the cookies seem to stay on the line, so it doesn't really matter.
    Hi All,

    I had been searching on-and-off since 1995 for more info on the history of the line arrow -- Dorff marker was easy, but not Forrest’s line arrow. I didn't have much success, other than what I recall as a very short paragraph.

    I brought out my Line Arrow pendant and Dive Rite Reel pendant in early 1999. Lamar had me get in touch with Harry A. for a couple of reasons. Harry emailed me Forrest’s article with his byline, which I assumed was some where on Harry’s website. It turned out that my friend, Joe D., knew FW made the line arrow (as well as other equipment) and contacted him at work on behalf of me.

    FW emailed Joe the same article, along with permission for us to use and cut it as we needed. Joe (a cave instructor at that time) and I added some introductory info to those unfamiliar with cave diving, but our version is basically just a reworking of Forrest’s. Lamar filled me in on the later bits about manufacturing. Joe (or I) emailed FW our final reworking, which is what appears on my jewelry website, on the weblink “RN” provided, and at the Cave Diving Museum.

    Other scuba websites started featuring this version later perhaps in 99 or 2000. The web link “RN” provided had this featured on a previous tech training website of the owner’s, but in the Library section.

    My point back in ’95 was that some of the 2nd generation cave diving instructors and divers weren’t sure either…and a pesky student and CDS member from up north just kept asking here and there. After I found out the answer, I thought it important that Forrest get credit. It’s also ironic that the Line Arrow History version used to explain what that “funny looking triangle” jewelry pendant thing is to some of my customers ends up being referenced.

    Forrest -- if this helps in further pin-pointing things down, Lamar had written me in ‘99 that DR bought the entire mass-production run of line arrows from PMI in 1984; subtract out the time from when PMI asked permission from you and molded from one of your handmade arrows. Do you need a copy of your original article?



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts