Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    273

    Default single wing for double alum 80s ?

    Anyone ever try a Halcyon 36lbs single wing on double ALUMINUM 80s? (I already own the single wing).
    My 55lbs wing is sloppy and sticks up higher than I like when I'm out of the country diving alum 80s.

    Maybe the single wing would want to roll me to much.

    Thanks,
    Dave


  2. #2

    Default

    I use a OMS 32lb wing w/FredT 9lb plate with double 80's and a ali40 deco bottle, wet or dry it works for me. I would imagine that 36 should work fine.


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Anyone ever try a Halcyon 36lbs single wing on double ALUMINUM 80s? (I already own the single wing).
    My 55lbs wing is sloppy and sticks up higher than I like when I'm out of the country diving alum 80s.

    Maybe the single wing would want to roll me to much.

    Thanks,
    Dave
    http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37230

    Some people here bent their backplates by using a single wing on a set of doubles. I don't know how that H single 36# is cut. Not sure if it will be an issue or not??? Just a heads up.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Thanks guys! anyone else try the Halcyone single 36lb wing on double ALUMINUM 80s?

    I think the lift would still be plenty for double ALUMINUM 80s (even loosing some lift between the backplate and tanks etc), wondering if it might try to roll me a little etc (lift being below the tanks).

    My buddy also told me tonight about backplates getting bent....interesting.

    I guess I should have bought a 40lb wing instead of my 55! I used a 40lb wing in Mexico last month on double alum 80s and it was much nicer than my 55 for those tanks. A 40lb wing would work fine on my double 95s here in FL as well.

    Thanks,
    Dave


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Why are you diving double AL 80s in Florida caves?


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    273

    Default

    I dive steel in FL. Just thinking my single 36lb wing would be MUCH more streamlined than my 55lb wing on alum 80s if it works.
    My 55 wing was getting snagged on the ceiling (on alum 80s) while going through the restrictions because it wraps up and around the smaller tanks.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    273

    Default

    NorthWoods,

    Whats the max width of your OMS 32lbs wing?
    My Halcyon 36lbs wing is only 19" wide (measure deflated and laying down flat).

    Thanks,
    Dave


  8. #8
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cocoa Beach
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneBrightGator View Post
    Why are you diving double AL 80s in Florida caves?
    Dave didn't say anything about Florida caves. It's a big world

    Bob K

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    273

    Default

    OneBrightGator,

    If I dove wet in FL (ie did not need some weight) I might dive double alum 80s sometimes here. In Mexico and other locations when I dive double alum 80s in a wetsuit I do not need any lead with my alum BP....thats a nice thing, the rig is much lighter than my steel lp95s. I have made many 2 1/2hr dives on double 80s, if your good on air and don't need the exta weight double 80s are not to bad.

    Dave


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    British Columbia Canada
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I have been using a 40 lb. Halcyon wing on double 80's with an aluminum backplate wearing a 5 mm. wetsuit. Can add a stage as well. I find the wing nice and compact with more than enough lift.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Single & Double Aluminum Cylinders for sale
    By bobmaufroy in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 07:27 AM
  2. FS Double AL-80s, and 13cf
    By RescueTechDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
  3. wtb bp and single wing
    By ggoodman in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 10:59 PM
  4. WTB: single tank wing
    By swadiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
  5. Double 80s
    By HomoErectus in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 10:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts