Im sure there must be a good reason but I cant think of one and have never read or been told why there isnt a line run in the eye or catacombs?
Printable View
Im sure there must be a good reason but I cant think of one and have never read or been told why there isnt a line run in the eye or catacombs?
The temp guideline was there July 18th when I dove around 5pm, and the morning of July 20th it was gone....
From an intro/basic cave diver's point of view, I like there being no line in the catacombs, since we can't do any deco, it makes a nice end of the day dive when your NDL's aren't very long (since it's shallow in there), and I find it cool to have some area to "explore". If someone puts line in there, it becomes a apprentice/full cave dive.
I've heard that there is no line in the Eye because instructors want students to learn/practice running a primary a long distance in high flow....I have no idea if this is true or not.
The first time I noticed the temp guideline gone was 6/21 (with ucfdiver). The last time I dove where it was there was 5/31.
It's really not too much of a big deal to run a line there.....unless you do like I did last weekend, and end up in the Catacombs because you head a little left before the goldline :smt102
I asked Rich Courtney about that last weekend and he said he never does line drills in the eye,only the ear.He was busy so I didnt elaborate on the question.It must be a fair question with so many veiws,only a few replys and a smart a#@ who doesent know me or my line running skills.Also I am not complaining about any scooter traffic that Ary suggested.I know alot of people who swim it without a line.Thats alot of cave to feel through if something fell and silted it out or some scooter rider had an accident.To me,a gold line should be maintained in there for safety.If an instructor wants his student to run a line all the way through it,go ahead and run it.
Since my name came up, I feel that I should put forth my thoughts. I teach my students to run a reel in the Ear first, but will occasionally use the Eye for lights out air shares etc. If this is the case I will demonstrate how to run a reel into the Eye. IMHO if you can run a good line in the Ear, the Eye will be easy, whereas the opposite is not true....
I've always thought of the catacombs as a place for Intro divers to explore as once they are tied into gold, they can't leave. I try to always use the Ear when scootering as IMHO big bodied scooters are not the best embodiment of cave conservation when entering or exiting the Eye.
By the way this is coming live from the beach on Grand Bahama..... :)
Safe diving,
Rich
If something fell in there and obstructs you, having a line is not going to make any difference..... The sediment is sand and will settle very fast, there is no risk of a complete silt out in the eye, the flow already blew all fine particles out. Not saying you do not need a line, but keeping things in perspective.
Rich, you lucky bastard!
I like that there's no line. Makes getting all my stuff out much easier. I hate it when I see a line in there!
It does get crowded quick, when you have two or three lines in there...
Actually I find that I (plus toys) can make it crowded even entirely unassisted by others - including their lines :(
I'm glad to hear I am not the only person that has happened to.Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdiver
(zips lip)...
(finds it hard not to break out laughing)
I feel your pain...! :D
Rich: This is coming at you from Montgomery Alabama...You lucky person you ... (sigh)
Jean
P.S. I also have found myself taking that 1st left into the Catacombs myself a time or two. Looking down instead of forward. (sigh)
But it doesn't take very long to realize your kind of at the WRONG place. Of course , if someone put a gold line in the catacombs , well , er ...
The reason there is no mainline from the eye is because the mainline starts from the ear.
At one time, that was a hard mistake to make. Now that the catacombs has become so popular, it looks like it really goes somewhere. I have almost turned in there myself, and I have been diving Devil's for over 30 years.
I am not going to coment on Bill's smart remark....oops, I just did.... :roll:
We noticed it after awhile but kept going, tied another primary to the first one untill we ran out of line and reels. Was one of the best dives we ever did. I have tried to duplicate it but guess there is nothing like the first time.:) I am glad there is no line in there.
After getting abused for my post,personally I dont mind there not being a line eather.I only swim the eye once a year on average and have done it without running a line and while running one.I use the ear so I can get further in the system anyways.I thought for safety a goldline woulnt hurt.I never realied that intro divers could not access the catacombs if a goldline ran through because they arent suppose to make any jumps from one line to another.Could it be that an intro diver couldnt explore the eye if a goldline was run because after the initial tie off from the cavern,they would have to eather turn around at the end of the line or break a rule and add a spool to the mainline in the ear?I cant remember if intro divers can make a gap from the end of one line to the other.
At Lori's suggestion, all the non-diving parts of this thread have been moved to the Fill Station :-)
Actually, even if it was lined, an intro diver could explore the catacombs if he's on the same primary reel that he tied off at the eye. Even though it would be a paralell line to the "installed gold line" it wouldn't be out of standards. He could then tie into the "main system" gold line further down the cavern before the lips.
If I am missunderstanding the standards, Instructors please correct my statement, and my apologies in advance.
Safe Diving