A controversial concept, but maybe a good one.
I know you guys are all thankful that I don't post much anymore. And I'll try to keep it that way. But a discussion with a cave instructor this morning led to a great idea we think he had. Of course, proposal of said idea would probably bring a bunch of criticism. I don't really care about criticism, so I said I'd post it.
What if cave society and prospective new cave divers had a list of instructors that not only had their length of cave instruction but also listed the number of graduated students who have died in cave diving. Say you've been teaching cave diving for less than 6 years but have already had 3+ students die while cave diving. Maybe it shows a trend in either poor instruction or an inability to weed out a poor state of mind in a diver.
Worst case, it allows people thinking about entering the sport to evaluate whether they want a guy known for student deaths to be their instructor.
Whatcha think?
A controversial concept, but maybe a good one.
I think a more effective problem to solve is instructor shopping by failed students. There should be some sort of way of identifying those that move around trying to get certs they shouldnt have. That doesnt mean not giving people a chance. There should just be a way of identifying those people so there can be clear instructor to instructor dialogue about why the student failed. Obviously it cant be assumed a failed student is a bad student, but there are those that are failed due to dangerous mentality and the new instructor should be made aware.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk