Undersea Oxygen Clinic - New Chamber Available in Tampa
I recently attended a seminar at Adventure Outfitters in Tampa. Joe Dituri discussed diving physiology and review his Undersea Oxygen Clinic in Tampa. It is now open and is a DAN Treatment Center.
Seminar Overview - https://adventuretampa.com/tampas-un...oxygen-clinic/
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/underseaoxygenclinic/
This is great news for diving all over Florida!
DAN still has their standard protocol of an ER visit first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Walter Pickel
This is what there FB page states; Our team is available to ALL Florida Divers 24/7/365. Any diving injuries should call (727) 542-1959. While others are closing chambers to divers, we are opening them! - DAN approved referral Center!
They may say anything they so choose, however, DAN still has their SOP which includes ruling out other medical issues and safe medical transport to an HBOT facility if required.
There is a DAN link in the article that specifically identifies this fact. Only DAN can authorize HBOT treatment if you expect them to pay for it, unless I'm mistaken. Has anyone had a treatment covered when DAN wasn't directly involved from the start?
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/m...on_Information
I'll try to contact DAN later today to confirm.
Excerpt from DAN Canada manual 2017
If you need assistance, do not hesitate to call the DAN Emergency Hotline.+1-919-684-9111(Collect Calls Accepted)
Things to know when you call:1. If the situation is life-threatening, call local EMS (911) first, then call DAN.
*2. When you call DAN, the medic handling your call may make an immediate recommendation, or they may ask to call you back after making arrangements at an appropriate medical facility. Either way, your call will be immediately tended.
3. If the DAN staffer needs to call you back, you will be asked to wait by the phone. The return call may take 30 minutes or longer, as several calls may be necessary to facilitate the assistance.
*If your situation is not an emergency requiring an immediate answer or assistance, please call the Medical Information Line at +1-919-684-2948.DAN is a NC nonprofit organization.
Just off the phone from speaking with Dan Emergency Medical Assistance
Update; I was just informed by a DAN Medic that the SOP for dealing with any dive emergency will always include a visit to the ER. I personally like the idea of walking in attached to an O2 bottle and not giving it up until they replace it.
If you get yourself there or via ambulance, all the same protocol applies. Call DAN asap and they will assist if necessary and in whatever capacity that is required.
Should you suffer a significant injury such as an AGE and you're standing or slumped over next to the chamber, all the same protocol applies. Call 911 and DAN in that order.
One other nugget I received from DAN, I was told the chamber in St Petersburg has some new and improved protocol or service to benefit divers. He mentioned something about a new director and better availability for emergency after hours recompression services.
One last item FYI, for those less familiar with DAN. I am a paid DAN member, however, when I called the DAN Emergency Medical Assistance line a few minutes ago, I was never asked for my membership #. This is the way they usually operate, even when it comes to just providing info.
You don't require to have a paid membership to get technical dive related info on the phone. If you have any questions about anything I've mentioned above, any dive related technical question, or just curious about DAN services or insurance, please don't hesitate to call them M-F 8:30am-5pm ET.
I hope this clears up more questions than it creates. ;-)
Undersea Oxygen Clinic is a Temporary Solution. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Michael F
Pardon my ignorance if this item has already been flogged but have Government officials been petitioned to enhance services at Shands to better serve divers?
I suppose the tourism $ created by Cave divers and OW divers in Florida isn't sufficient in their minds to justify the expense. . .
There is no evidence offered here on Cave Diver's Forum that any state department of health or state/federal gov't representative being aware of or helping to resolve the problem at Shands UF Gainesville.
For starters, DAN should be able to offer some advice to the local dive community and possibly help on how bring this urgent need to the attention of state gov't officials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Kelly Jessop
The crisis and Shands chamber has been discussed ad nauseum, but this more likely is a study in hospital economics 101, which has effected the whole state. . .
Shands UF is not a private medical center subject to basic for-profit economic models.. Do you understand?
N. Florida residents and the local dive community are being vitally underserved by a taxpayer supported public University of Florida School of Medicine and Regional Level 1 Trauma Center in Gainesville. You as state taxpayers are entitled to a higher quality of critical care improvement based on this level 1 trauma designation -go demand for it and get it instead of ignorantly rationalizing it away as due to basic "hospital economics 101".
Quote:
Originally Posted by
rddvet
. . . Florida has added a new facility that can be helpful in less severe cases. That's a win in my book. . .
"Florida" per se has nothing to do with this new clinic. The OP is an example of a private stand alone for-profit facility and a temporary band-aid solution that may very well dissolve again like all the other private ventures tried there before up in N/NW Florida. This is NOT a state funded and run, taxpayer supported facility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Michael F
The last thing I want to do is aggravate people but if we don't make an effort to find a solution it will never improve. . .
. . .I saw a reference to contacting various Florida officials concerning funding but I didn't see anything on the concept of funding/support/or promotion of having the chamber at Shands available for divers and/or in a standby capacity.
I will admit that I don't have the answer or possibly enough understanding of the complexity of a solution, however, I believe that if not working towards a solution we are accepting status quo. End of story. . .
Working on getting a 6ATA Multiplace w/ Auxiliary Lock Hyperbaric Chamber for Shands UF Gainesville with Federal Grant Money is the most viable solution they have. It's the best permanent and sustainable model, again because of its state publicly funded medical school, level 1 trauma center designation, and better legal protection and immunity.
They have to start "trolling" their elected state and/or federal government officials to help them resolve this crisis and implement this very workable solution. . .