Originally Posted by
Superlyte27
So, I'm the chicken who "cussed" at you. (Yes, I know a lot of you are shocked) :)
Let's start from my perspective.
We watched as you and your buddy blazed through the keyhole despite my team exiting the cave. No courtesy there. But that's okay. It's not a rule or anything more of just a courtesy that exiting divers have the right of way. Then, we watched as the guy with the 20 year old pistol grip flashlights and orange wetsuit kneeled completely vertical in the mud for a solid 20 seconds. Silt goes everywhere. No real big deal there. Not really any danger, just thought it funny that you have no regard at all for the cave or even a shred of pride in your skill for the hobby. Then you push off the ground, and flutter kick over and over and over, but your buoyancy is so bad that you keep pushing yourself off the ground with your off hand, all the while kicking like a mule (flutter of course every time). I was certain that you were an open water diver who had borrowed gear, and I was terrified you were the next fatality at ginnie. I followed until gas really wouldn't permit me to stay any longer (stupid OC). I rushed for my buddy in the rebreather looking to tell him about you guys hoping he could find and save you, but so much time had elapsed right now, I wasn't certain he would know where to look. Of course as I think about it now, all he really had to do was follow the silt from the incessant bouncing off the bottom and the flutter kick.
I make it back to my line and I find the worst run line I've probably ever seen in my life. Not only was your primary line flapping in the current wildly but you actually crossed my line in 4 or 5 places (I'm not sure how this was even possible or necessary) but then you even tied onto the top of my placements, making it impossible to pull my reel without first pulling your reel. Dude, that just pisses me off.
So, lets recap.... Kneeling in the mud, bouncing off the bottom, pistol grip flashlights (try running a reel with them, maybe that's why the reel work was so poor), flutter kicking in the silt, failure to yield the right of way, failure to run a reel properly in just about every conceivable way.
You can understand how I was worried you shouldn't be there, and then B. Finding out you actually were cave divers, but just didn't know how to cave dive. You're right, I did cuss at you. I said, "either get more training and follow it, or stay the PHUCK out of the cave". I stand by that direction.
Go diving with anyone else. If they tell you that your abilities in the cave are up to par, tell them to get more training too.
And don't do like you did at the steps and try to explain away why you did what you did. The fact is, you suck at cave diving. No excuses man. You've been diving for 20 years but kneeling in the mud and flutter kicking? Running a reel the way you did? Get more training or a mentor. Hell, take another cavern class with a good instructor, because you REALLY don't belong in a cave right now.