So much for the "No Lights Drill"
300 fsw with no way to see your depth guage. Amazing but I'll bet he didn't dive solo and probably followed someone elses lead. I respect his courage but I'm not sure Diving would hold much of an interest to me if I couldn't also see the beauty of the underwater world or the Shark that was stalking me.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/5100622.stm
So much for the lights out drill
Let's see (or feel) ... 100 metres is a bit deeper than my (sighted with a 13 W light) personal deepest. I take my dive hood off to Mr. Threadgold, switching tanks at the right time and maintaining depth through all those deco stops is an achievement for anyone.
Re: So much for the "No Lights Drill"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveranger
Pardon my ignorance but don't some Rebreathers automatically give you the correct breathing gas mix based on depth?
I don't know of any rebreather which will automatically give you the correct breathing gas mix, based upon varying depths, but a Closed Circuit Rebreather can help you maintain a proper set-point (PO2 – partial pressure of oxygen). You still need the ability to monitor the oxygen sensor readings for survival. This is usually accomplished by a diver visually checking the primary and secondary sensor displays.
Devices do exist to help a diver track when an oxygen sensor reading is out of range (example: a Heads Up Display (HUD) or a buzzer). HUDs are typically visual displays, but some also vibrate for warnings. This could potentially help a vision impaired diver, but the visual sensor readings must also be monitored.
For a dive to this depth, a rebreather can actually make the dive more complex, because you need to carry open circuit bailout tanks to make it back to the surface (if you have a problem with your rebreather which you can’t handle by automatic, manual or Semi Closed Circuit control of the rebreather).
As Caveranger suggested; I would also like to see a report on how this was achieved. It’s a challenging task for non-visually impaired divers to perform a decompression schedule, and gas switches, for a dive to 100 metres. Cheers to Mr. Threadgold! :D