It's the same in PA
Printable View
What cracks me up, Phillip, is some of the most vociferous complainers on this thread themselves push these rules.
Rule 1 - Forrest and his Home Depot Special. He clearly thinks that he's sufficiently clever to self-train on the device. He seems to think Rule 1 is silly.
Rule 2 - a special case of the Rule of Doubles (patent pending) and I agree, often insufficiently conservative. Hence, silly.
Rule 3 - someone just pointed out to me that Kelly can clearly be seen doing visual jumps on some commercially sold videos (cavex2 I believe). So Kelly - What's good for the goose ain't good for the gander? Or do you think that's a silly rule, Kelly?
Rule 4 - seriously, only 3? I take 2 on my helmet, a couple more in pockets and on my harness, and a primary. Why only take 3? They're cheap, and with LED's they last forever. What a silly rule!
Rule 5 - well, sort of obvious. No deep air is an agreed rule in every area of diving. Silly to apply it to cave diving.
James, it's a fascinating story. I'm going from memory but I think the basics are here. When the (I think) freeeflow started, Exley's buddy THOUGHT IT WAS EXLEY and started swimming to him to give him air. By the time he'd worked it out he was empty. Underwater it's easy to make this mistake. A nice aspect of modern training I think is that your immediate reaction is to isolate - it makes it automatic. But it's a nice example of where having a buddy can have unintended negative consequences.
Well, it's not just about new equipment,although it is in part. I think two things have made me feel that the rules need updating. 1) Currently, it's EXPERIENCED divers that are dying; 2) As this poll shows, and even the most casual empiricism corroborates, people break them all the time. Why is this? What should we do about it?
Ok I misunderstood your calling the rules "silly" and I agree with you that an even more conservative approach is needed to the "rules".
However if people are breaking basic cave diving rules that are the absolute bare minimum in safety standards then there is a very serious safety issue with the mindset of such people, and if they are breaking very basic bare minimum rules I unfortunately doubt they would adhere to an even more conservative approach.
So it's a training issue that's being told as if it were a gas issue? I don't see what the motivation for that might be.
BTW- I know this is taught currently differently by various instructors. I think isolating should be a secondary concern if you're team diving. If you're team diving, alerting your buddy should be the #1 goal, as you can always get out with their gas (if you planned well), saving your gas should be the #2 goal. Fortunately with light signals, these are near simultaneously accomplished, but I would hate to know that I isolated and forgot to signal a buddy, causing buddy separation and gear failure on the same dive. The opposing view, I guess, is that you save the gas ASAP and then let your buddy know it's time to exit.
This is where accident analysis get's interesting. Reminds me of a story recently where a diver died right near the entrance of a cave because his isolator was closed and even though the SPG (should have) read full, he got on o2 real deep because he thought it was his last option. I've heard lot's say that was a clear case of diving beyond your training, because the system required 100 post full cave dives to get in and the diver was intro. However the cause of the accident was a situation not a direct result of that system and could of happened in OW. Not sure if the training was done in doubles or not, but I guess my point is I observed several people jumping to the conclusion they were diving beyond their training level, when that's not the CAUSE of the accident. It almost seems that accident analysis is often "let's figure out how to fit this within the 5 rules, or consider it a medical incident".
I think we need to reevaluate training in many areas, as we've all seen or heard about classes that make us scratch our heads. I for one, would be a HUGE fan of having the student initial next to each of the required skills stating they were completed, and turning in a short summery of each dive done during training that's sent in when the instructor files the paperwork for the certification card.
Safety diver on each dive that put in ALL jumps. The videographer didn't want the detraction of a reel placement,except at Cow. The safety diver put everything in,and the plan was choreographed such that if the safety diver couldn't complete a part of his task,the whole dive was dumped. I hated this when a couple places had to reshot,but in retrospect I appreciated the safety diver. Hence due to the proximity of the safety diver,and working as a well choregraphed team,I had a continuous line to exit,and this was needed for the nether reaches of Bonnett.
Any instructor that teaches that "your immediate reaction is to isolate" doesn't really understand how doubles work. Of all things that go wrong with gas delivery underwater, something that would be solved by isolating probably happens 0.00000001% of the time.
(I've never heard of it happening.)