+ alot
Printable View
I was wondering how long that comment would take to be questioned. I think people completely trained in mexico come here and may need some getting used to diving heavy steel tanks, but I think a very large number are much better prepared for making jumps and exploring off the mainline than those trained here.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Overall the Mexican trained divers I have seen are much better than the US trained ones. This is especially true for sidemount. The Protec guys and Go Sidemount are definitely turning out better divers than most of what I see coming out of Florida. There are only a few instructors in Florida who I would recommend especially for sidemount. The ones doing the best seem to have spent a good bit of time in Mexico.
Are you suggesting that the only people who lack appropriate skills are people trained in Florida? Because if not, your comment is just trolling.
All I'm saying is that "addressing" skill problems noted in divers in Florida caves is difficult, when everyone who dives here is not necessarily from, nor are they necessarily trained here. Nor are there necessarily witnesses of someone's lackluster diving skills, particularly if someone isn't from the area and doesn't dive here frequently, or if they are diving solo while visiting the area.
How, exactly, do you propose we address training deficiencies in cave divers in Florida caves? Especially for visitors that we can't monitor well, and that we have no direct control over the quality of their non local instructor?
Also, to address the Mexico trained divers... that was not even the direction I was going with "not trained here." I was thinking more along the lines of trained from out of state where they have no caves, and doesn't dive ANY caves regularly.
That said, I know at least one individual who was refused a cave card by a local instructor, who then went to Mexico and got certified... in sidemount... and that guy has NO business being in any overhead environment... ever.
So even in an area like Mexico, where there are such a large number of quality sidemount instructors, there are still folks churning out crap quality students. I'm sure the same could be said for anywhere...