" Leave nothing but bubbles,and take nothing but pictures"
Printable View
" Leave nothing but bubbles,and take nothing but pictures"
This is the e-mail I sent to the owner of Virginia Scuba:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-mail to Mark at vascuba
I sent the shop an e-mail also. Graffiti in any form is a waste. It amazes me that a diver well trained and educated enough to pass a CCR class would think that was a good idea. I'm further amazed that her shop thought putting that photo on their website was a good idea.
Brian
You said it a lot better than I could last night.Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl
It surprises me that they would allow this and then post it. I have only lived in the area a few months, but when I go to their shop, they seem like good people, although I have never dove with them.
Okay, I've been having some dialogue with Kristen (the girl who did the algae scraping at Troy) over on RBW. She sent me the following PM and asked that I post it here as well. She's quite sorry about the whole thing and I think she's beginning to realize our sensitivities to the issue.
I have to agree that what she did certainly isn't going to effect the ecosystem at Troy. In my opinion the real issue was the possibility that others might see such things and decide that it would be okay for them to do likewise, and that the practice would become rampant.
Brian
Quote:
Brian,
Apparently your interest in slandering the VA scuba name spreads to several forums. I understand that you have an issue with me and what I did, and I respect and acknowledge that, hence my apology and removal of the photo. However I'd ask that before you start slandering the name of the shop, please read these facts. I've got no problem with slander against me personally, but VA Scuba has nothing to do with my actions.
1. I did scrape into algae.
2. I didn't take the picture. I was in class on that dive, therefor didn't have the camera. Someone else took the picture.
3. I added those photos to the website and also removed the offending photo. VA scuba never gave me authorization to post that picture, and in retrospect it was poor taste, which is why it's been removed.
You can let the folks who keep emailing Mark know that they should be emailing me instead: [email protected].
Finally, I'd like to apologize to everyone on the Cave lounge, etc, who is upset by my actions. In no way was I intending to destroy what nature created, I needed to accumulate bottom time for my class, and found a temporary source of entertainment. My intentions were never to permanently destroy or deface a spring system- I'd never dream of caring my initials into a rock, spray painting them on a bridge, etc. Although I don't consider drawing in algae a similar crime, I clearly have offended and upset many members of the diving community, and therefor apologize. In no way is VA scuba encouraging what I have done, nor is anyone at VA Scuba besides myself involved in this incident.
Thank you for understanding, and again, I am sorry.
Happy and safe diving,
Kristen
I would be willing to bet that shop will add a lesson about conservation in the future :-D
Looks like the shop has removed the picture also.
That is the whole issue for me. I realize it's not actual damage that will affect the ecosystem or last forever. However, it does encourage others to do the same and before long the entire basin at Troy will be covered with shop names as well as other locations throughout North Florida. I hope she has learned from this experience.
Unfortunately, I have no plans to be in that area anytime soon, but if anyone is at Troy and can wipe away this vandalism, even if it means scraping the rest of the algae off, it would be much better than leaving that there for others to see.