Originally Posted by
TraviTheDiver
Not to pick on you, but it's not the first time for someone to say something to the extent of, "as long as you do everything right, nothing can go wrong". There's nothing incorrect in your statement and I'm just using it as an example, but this is a dangerous train of thought. Risk management is about minimizing risks when things do go wrong (if they haven't, you haven't dove enough). Protocol will (and does) get broken all the time and our procedures should account for this as much as reasonably possible. The first time a real emergency happens, our brain shuts down and we react. I'd rather not have 3 regs to choose from if my buddy is OOG and I need to donate one...hell I've seen people try to donate their necklace in an "emergency" instead of their long hose and that's just with 2 regs and a 50/50 chance of getting it right. I've seen instructors stop whatever they're doing (including gas switches) because someone dropped their spool or light, it happens, it's instinctual for some.
I'm always going to screw something up, so let me reduce the amount of things I can possibly screw up as much as reasonably possible. Everyone has their own risk tolerance.