When I was a new OW diver, from an old salt, "if you have to think about if to do the dive or not for more than a few minutes....don't do it."
Printable View
When I was a new OW diver, from an old salt, "if you have to think about if to do the dive or not for more than a few minutes....don't do it."
There is one rock in Devils I pet each and every time I pass it. It's my pet rock. I've done it every time since i first saw the rock in my cave class.
government funded study????
I have always heard the rule of 3s, and have to say there is some sound advice there. Many accidents are a compounding of issues, and each issue causes distraction and loss of focus. If there is some hypothetical limit to the number of issues that occur,then perhaps it stops a continuation of a dive, where more compounding issues could prove fatal.
Tracy and I follow the three problems and out rule.
We have also been known to call dives at the surface due to lack of enthusiasm. Some days you're just better off staying out of the water. Fortunately this has only happened 3 or 4 times in 16 years, mostly involving ice dives. The best time to call a dive is while you're still in bed!
You must, every dive, pay proper homage to the cave gods. I always face towards Zacaton, say three "Hail Exley's", then I make the sign of the cave arrow on my abdomen, point of the arrow down towards my pee valve. Then, as I am about to start the dive, I always say "Oh blessed mother of HID ignition, please don't fail me now". If I ever get a LED light, I may stop doing that one. Finally, I chant "you'reastroke, you'reastroke, you'reastroke three times silently as a reminder of how lucky I am to still be alive.
Superstitions? NEVER clean your drysuit undergarment. You may be doing more solo dives, but what the hell. NEVER service your regulators, if it ain't fixed, don't broke it. Always do any circuit counterclockwise, if it works for NASCAR, it should work for me.
Talismans? Well I have thought about trying to get a lock of Forrest's beard to carry in my drysuit pocket, but that may be a little creepy.
Several years ago I was sitting next to Gene at the NACD Conference and the speaker was teaching us to listen to our inner voice. I heard that talk very well and have done so ever since. The springs will be there tomorrow and I want to make sure that I will be there to enjoy them.:arrowred
My superstition is that I always gear up "starting from the left."
Rebreather gets assembled from left to right, left tank goes on first, etc.
Left leg goes in the dry suit before right leg.
Left arm goes in before the right arm.
Left fin goes on before the right one.
Left glove goes on before the right one.
Tanks on left side go on before right tanks.
If I ever slip and do something out of order, I undo it, and start with the left whatever first.
When anyone asks me why I do it that way, I tell them, "If I don't, I'll die."
Hey, it's not superstition if it works!
m
It's bad luck to be superstitous
Last time I got my tanks hydroed/VIPed I marked them beforehand as to where the cam band was and where the lower clip was. I realized I might have to adjust the lower clip to allow for the valves not being reinserted to the same orientation. What I did NOT notice was the L/R valves had been reversed, so my left hose-clamp and clip were now on the right tank, and vice versa. This meant the handles were facing the wrong way if the regs were on as I usually put them on, or the regs were facing the other way if the handles were right. As usual, we got to Ginnie kind of delayed after a 12h drive, and rigged everything quickly and got in the water. In the water, I realized the problem, so got out and fixed it while my buddy went off and did a shore dive on his own. So, I called my dive.
My question is, how many errors did I have so I can compare to the magic three? Was it (a) one error, i.e. the valves reversed, or (b) two errors, since both valves were reversed, or (c) or four errors since I did not notice the problem on either side, or (d) five errors because I got in the water with everything screwed up, or even (e) six errors because I was at Ginnie on a 3-day weekend?