I challenge anyone to find a higher-performing regulator than the Scubapro Mark 10/G-250 I bought in 1986. There isn't one.
Printable View
First-born male child?
I have found that people that learn on Poseidons love them, but people that learn on other regs hate them. To me, they breathe like they're broken.
to bring this back on track...and yet combine the two topics here...I'm reminded by Sludges comment about Poseidons. I was doing a DPV class several years back and was performing an "OOA and dead scooter" drill. Since I was "OOA" the guy donating had Poseidons...only time in 11 years of cave diving I ever thought I was going to drown. Afterwards, when I inquired about it, I was told they were dialed in where they should be...wow... anyways, the scooters we drive are UV-26 and are a sweet ride in caves. For lake diving we pull the transformer routine and go with the UV18 hull. Also, I really appreciate the customer service I've gotten from SS...for what its worth.
with a SS you can also do this mod
Sluge,
The reg you mention is the most copied regulator in the world and is certainly one of the best BUT in terms of performance (gas delivery) the best regulator ever made was the Scubapro PILOT, then the Air 1, the PILOT has out performed every regulator ever tested by the US Navy and shined in manned 1000 foot tests.
All Extreme's, Odin's and Cyclone's out perform the G250 as well but the breathing characteristics tend to rub people the wrong way and upstream regs have a very serious disadvantage.
I love it. UV-26, same technology as my 85 TEKNA with a stronger case!
I went with the Silent Submersion UV for my diving. I have a UV-26 and a conversion kit to turn it into a UV-18. Either of these scooters are awesome and a lot of fun.
The UV-26 is great for big caves and long runs. It is like riding a Cadillac. It is very stable and almost controls itself. It is heavy when I have to carry it and thus the UV-18 kit.
The UV-18 is lighter to carry and more maneuverable underwater. It does not have a long of a burn time though.
Both of these have sealed lead acid batteries and the replacement costs are very small compared to the new battery technoligy out now. They do not just shut down when the battery gets low. They continue to run but at a increasing slower speed. It is a bit of warning to turn your butt around if you have not already.
SS customer support is simply outstanding. My scooter is so old that all the shroud mounting has been changed to bigger and heavier duty stuff for many years. Rodney upgraded all of mine to the current design and would not even take any money for it. This is a used scooter that he worked on for free!! They have gained my support, and business for future purchases. It also does not hurt that they are right here in Florida near me.