Originally Posted by
aainslie
Ken, I'm getting a little sick of this. I am, indeed, very qualified to talk on this topic.
It was a simple, quick poll of people ON THIS BOARD. I view that as a pretty unbiased sample, given that this board is wholly aimed at cave divers. And I am still unclear who it is you think will truly dive always running lines, yet post that they don't to bias the sample.
And actually, it's YOUR accusation of unprincipled intent that I find egregious. And you, not I, need to do a bit of apologising.
Seriously. I get accused of being:
- Insane
- boneheaded, and
- Unprincipled
by moderators!
And it's ME that get threatened with a banning!
Methinks the moderators SHOULD meet. To get their own house in order. You, and Forrest, are out of line. I apologised for my statement. Neither of you have bothered to.
Man up and apologise, both of you, or admit to your hypocrisy. Or of course do the easy thing and ban me.
And what really gets me is that my intent is to make this sport safer, through the application of exactly the sort of discussion and thought that set up the early rules. You guys just want status quo, silence, and a nice warm fuzzy feeling of pseudo safety. Complacency in short. But are willing to attack me in return.
Ken, one final suggestion. Find the MOST qualified person you know (skip comes to mind) and ask him to create a "scientific" poll. I will eat my words publicly if the responses come out substantially differently, adn demonstrate that a majority always run lines.
One other point - I was incredibly conservative in my interpretation. A raw interpretation is that SITY SIX percent don't run lines. I realized that there might be some confusion over locations like P1 and REDUCED my estimate. IN the interest of not overstating my position.
YOU owe me an apology. Not vice versa.
Edit - I've just read that SLOP stuff. The intent there is to pretend to represent a wider group by polling a biased subset. Most of the posts on this thread have been FOR your side. Interestingly it's a largely silent group that aren't posting that voted that they didn't always run a line. Think about that for a second. Why is the readership of CDS likely to be a subset biased in favour of NOT running lines? I for one cannot think of any plausible reason. I await yours. But do yourself a favour - chat to someone like Skip first (or perhaps Wingman/Bill), since this is a field that you know little to nothing about, and your'e going to get into trouble fast.