Pinnacle Evolution 2 - poor fit? Suggestions?
I bought a Pinnacle Evolution 2 at the beginning of Summer, but due to local temps being too warm, haven't taken it out diving until now. It was a bit of a cluster.
To back up a bit, when I was thinking about buying it, Edd at Cave Adventurers took my measurements. I later had someone else verify the measurements and then I called in the order to Edd. He sent the numbers to Pinnacle to pick the suit. Based on Pinnacle's sizing chart, I would have pegged me as an "ML", however they placed me in a "Lg Short".
I've owned two prior drysuits, but both seemed bulky and not at all streamlined. Neither had the mid-section foldover as Pinnacle and DUI uses. In fitting this with undergarments (Evolution Undergarment), if I cinch up the crotch strap completely, I am able to get the upper section to lie flat (folded over section almost touching the top of the thigh pockets). The legs seem a little baggy, but they look that way in pictures as well. The sides of the upper section , however, seemed to have a lot of extra material.
On dive #1, I was wearing double 95s and a partially filled O2 bottle (AL40) which was floating slightly. Upon hitting the lake, I found myself to be a bit buoyant. That struck me as odd as I've never been anywhere near buoyant with 95s and a drysuit. I got all the air out and descended. The dive was fine - went to 150', it was 60 degrees and I was warm enough.
However on the way up, I really had to struggle with my ascent. I had the exhaust wide open, but lots of air kept getting trapped. Several times I had to go vertical and I probably looked like I was having mini convulsions wiggling to get out every last bit of air. After I had dumped all I could from my drysuit and wing, I had to literally grab some rocks to weigh me down. (Deco was fun.) Came up after quite a lot of work.
Second dive I stayed shallower, dumped the deco bottle, and added ankle weights (never had to do that before). This one was much more controllable, but still lots of air getting trapped. I became very aware of a large vertical crease of material down the middle of my chest/stomach. I assume several of these folds are leading to my air trapping problems.
First off, I can't decide if this is a proper fit. The excess material around my chest/stomach doesn't give me the streamlined feel I was hoping for and I was pretty limited in my range of motion - reaching back to the valves was a struggle and practicing a little pull and glide along a wall didn't feel very efficient at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this to lie flat in the water?
I'm going to try again with some Gaiters (again never had to use w/ previous drysuits) and maybe a stainless backplate for additional weight? I'm amazed at the added buoyancy - does that sound normal?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
-Tom
A couple things I believe about drysuit fitment
For the "technical" diver who maintains for the most part a horizontal belly down trim with the knees bent upward at a 30-90 degree angle, I feel that the suit should be a snug fit from the waist to the feet. Gaiters can alleviate the air trapping from the knee to the ankle, but if the foot area (boot or sock) is too large you can still have a problem.
From the waist to the shoulders, suit fitment should allow you to manipulate your tank valves and be able to reach everything you need to reach. The suit should do this by either using a stretch material or fitting less than snug in that area. Since your harness is strapped over your upper torso, looseness is less critical regarding air trapping in this area, but you need only enough room/stretch to maneuver in your harness and no more. I find that many of the exhaust valves which are located on the upper arm are rotated too far forward, ie the top of the bicep. I prefer my exhaust valve more toward the tricep or back area of the upper arm so when I'm horizontal face down with my arms extended to my front the valve is pointed directly upward. I adjust my valve so as I ascend in that position the valve will exhaust easily, no body contortions or other assistance required. You'll know the valve is too far toward if as you ascend in that manner you get a large suit bubble of trapped air along your upper arm even when the valve is adjusted to exhaust properly because the valve is below the air bubble.
Although you mentioned this is your third drysuit, you didn't say how much dry suit diving experience you have. This has some bearing as well. Good luck with it, when that suit fits properly it's a good one. And most folks will say the #1 thing about drysuit diving is proper fit.