Forum for private cave discussion
Something that has been discussed,is we are discussing things that for the lay public could be considered a violation of rules,and could upset landowners who view this forum,and defy their trust. Perhaps we need a medium where we can discuss things where we know the only audience will be certified cave/cavern divers. The CDF has many private forums,and perhaps one can be started for this purpose.
Forum for private cave discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Kelly Jessop
Something that has been discussed,is we are discussing things that for the lay public could be considered a violation of rules,and could upset landowners who view this forum,and defy their trust. Perhaps we need a medium where we can discuss things where we know the only audience will be certified cave/cavern divers. The CDF has many private forums,and perhaps one can be started for this purpose.
I can understand restricting the "general" public, but I would not want to restrict to "certified cavern/cave divers only" either. FTR, my cavern program is in progress, and I expect completion before year's end. I can honestly say I've benefited much from viewing the discussion... It has caused me to at least "think," not necessarily "act." Whatever I end up "doing/acting" will be a solution upon which both I and my cave instructor agree beforehand. That said, I'm pretty happy with the existing rules as is. They make intuitive sense to me, presently still being somewhat on the "outside." My personal tendency is to follow all the existing rules 100%, as is my instructor's. That means full/complete continuous guidelines to OW, strict rule of 3rds (maybe slightly more conservatism in low/no flows), etc. etc. But my instructor and I will work that out.
Still, I have enjoyed viewing these discussions. They made me think, and at EOD, they validated my belief in the existing rules. And I'd not want those in my present position (or those in the same position who would follow me) to lose that, if the discussion is hidden from those not yet certified, or worse, not yet "full cave" certified. I have full faith in those rules. But, in order to have "faith" in something, you have to be able to question it.
Just a cavern student's .02 :-)