Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Devil's Ear

Default Devil's Ear

What is the current protocal at the Ear. I understand that in addition to removing snap and gap, the mainline has been moved back further in the cave. Are lines now being run?
    Thanks

We just dove the Ear this past Thursday. The gold line starts at the sign. It actually comes up the left side of the passage on the floor, then makes a 90 degree turn and goes across the floor the the other side, all just behind the sign. So as your entering or exiting, you pass directly over the line.

Go to this link: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21333529 Then go to the pic that is 6th from the bottom. You'll see the back of the sign and the line running across the passage just behind the sign.

I only saw one person run a line and he was diving solo.

On our first dive we ran a line on the floor starting just under the Ear. That way we could at least look up and see the opening (doubtful it would ever silt enough not to see there).

On the second dive, we opted for no line, but did put a clip on the line just for reference that we were in the right spot. We only dive here once a year, thus are not extremely comfortable assuming we know the system.

Personally, I think with the flow it's fairly safe not to run a line. I wouldn't advocate that to anyone else, that's just my personal opinion. I've run the line from open water there before and it's a b.tch.

Just my 2 cents and there are certainly others who dive there more than me with more knowledge of common protocol.

Good luck.

Thanks. That sounds siginficantly different than when I was last there a couple of years ago. I have also never run a line at the ear and am glad to hear that it's not been moved too far back.

Default Snap and Gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky View Post
    What is the current protocal at the Ear. I understand that in addition to removing snap and gap, the mainline has been moved back further in the cave. Are lines now being run?
    Thanks
    You sure you were at Ginnie?

Default always

I always run the line and from what I've seen I start earlier than almost anyone - at about 30' deep. It's a fun part of the dive, I like to find new places to wrap, and with practice it doesn't take much time at all. But the main reason as always is that I feel better, safer, having it there. It's my guideline to survival.

-skip

"Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

Default Devil's Ear

I think I was at Ginnie. The main line use to to be high up on the right wall past the sign and before that there was a heavy nylon line that ran from the entrance to the main line so you could pull yourself in? Snap and gap use to be toward hill 400 after the junction room. A short line hanging from the main line that you unhooked and attached to the line on that first jump? If I remember, the place discouraged running a line at the ear because of the possibility of confusion with so many divers? The eys was run to the sign I think? At my age, it just all runs together!
    Shocky

Default All runs together

I think I was at Ginnie. At my age, it just all runs together!
    Shocky
    Now that's funny! It sounds like you are describing two differnt caves. Unless at my age I just swam past that damn line to pull myself in.

Default Devei's Ear

I will check with an old bud of mine that doesn't dive caves any longer and see if I'm all f/u on this. Now, I'm starting to really wonder myself!
    JS

I will check with an old bud of mine that doesn't dive caves any longer and see if I'm all f/u on this. Now, I'm starting to really wonder myself!
    JS

You have it right, It's the Devil system your talking about. There used to be a snap-n-gap at hill 400, don't know about the pull rope but you have the rest of it correct. Most of thes guys posting on this thread haven't been at this long enough to remember some of the things you mentioned.

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Default Devil's Ear

Whew, I pretty much knew I wasn't "halluseanaten" on snap and gap and Rose did confirm there have been in years past, white temp lines from the entrance to the main line up on the wall. She told me she stopped diving about four years ago, surprise. My dive world is falling apart.
    John