Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Accident Analysis II

The question raised by the original accident analysis thread could maybe be restated as a question regarding the correlation of accidents/incidents with training agency, and thus not be locked by a moderator? I agree with locking that thread, so I'm not trying to reopen it here.

We've all heard PADI bad-mouthed, but is it true? show me the data. Is there any data? And is there any data for cave training agencies that correlates with accidents/incidents? I would think that the numbers would be pretty much the same across training, and from surveys I've done for other reasons we've found that cavern and cave divers typically have been certified by three to five different agencies, on average. I'd guess that it would be difficult to show any relationship whatsoever to any one agency.

-skip

Last edited by skip; 12-04-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: syntax
    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

Um, I think the OP was referring to the Internet as a training agency, in particular another dive forum.

Okay mods...shut 'er down.

Dave

The problem I see is that with PADI there "may" be 1 in 5,000 certified divers who actually dive and it is probably fewer than that, maybe 1 in 10,000. In the case of NSS-CDS or NACD certified divers, I believe a much larger percentage are still active divers.

That being the case, PADI would "appear" to have a great safety record when in-fact the incident per "active" certification may be very high.

But then again, who knows??????

Dave Grimm

Now there was only me and this timeless, eternal cave. I felt part of things, a tolerant guest.
    by Rob Palmer from "Deep Into Blue Holes"

Default oh, i see

Quote Originally Posted by loquat149 View Post
    Um, I think the OP was referring to the Internet as a training agency, in particular another dive forum.

Dave
    my mistake...tds...i get it! geesh, that adds another dimension to it....one that is very difficult to get any numbers on!

-skip

"Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by loquat149 View Post

Dave
    sounds like a good TDS thread..

I think when accidents fall under the basic rules of accident analysis, specifically diving beyond training we shouldn't analyze it too much. It is what it is, and Sheck wrote "Blueprint" a long time ago. Nothing really to learn from it in my opinion but to reinforce the very basics we were taught in our cavern class.

Last edited by crawford; 12-04-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    I think when accidents fall under the basic rules of accident analysis, specifically diving beyond training we shouldn't analyze it too much. It is what it is, and Sheck wrote "Blueprint" a long time ago. Nothing really to learn from it in my opinion but to reinforce the very basics we were taught in our cavern class.
    This is exactly correct.

One big difference is, in Blueprint, Sheck changed the names to protect the families of the victems. He says so right in the Forward.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Amen.

Agreed. Question is though, how to keep people from doing what they know is wrong...?

Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    Agreed. Question is though, how to keep people from doing what they know is wrong...?
    Quite simply...you can't. People are going to do whatever they want, even when they know its wrong, illegal, or just plain stupid.

TJ (2)
    When I get out of cavediving, it will be to learn how to use a walker FW