Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Exhaust Valve Location

What are the pros and cons of locating your dry suit exhaust on the forearm vs. shoulder location?

Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning.

Sheck Exley 1949-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Cave Too View Post
    What are the pros and cons of locating your dry suit exhaust on the forearm vs. shoulder location?
    If it's on your arm, I would be concerned about breaking it in a good, tight side-mount dive...
    There may not be much difference, depending on what kind of diving you're doing.

'I assure you, it is not jealousy'

Administrator Forum Admin

On the forearm might be ok for open water, but there are times you might not be able to get the arm with the dump valve high enough to get air out of the suit.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I have an atmospheric dump on my 5 mil neo suit. Very small, does not expose a lot of surface and it is the balls. Dumping air becomes a no-never-mind. Especially good in tight spots where you would never get air out of a shoulder dump. I dove shoulder dumps for around 12 years before I got the atmo cuff dump suit, now I actually dislike the shoulder dump when I have to use my 900. Plus the cuff dump lets me get ALL the air out, to the Hormel bacon package point.
    But, it is on a neo suit and I put much less air in that then I would in a bag suit. If you keep a ton of air in your suit and you will be vertical a lot, it may be inconvenient.
    For cave diving -

"Is this thing on?"