Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ear Infection

Default Ear Infection

I have an ear infection brewing and my RB class is in 6 days Just noticed it last night, all day today I have been using some Rx drops I've had laying around. No improvement, worse actually.

Other than being painful, can I dive? or will that cause more problems...I suspect I already know the answer.

I'll be seeing a doctor asap tomorrow. I'm hoping I can get it cleared up for the most part before next Wednesday.

Last edited by Line Squirrel; 07-09-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcauliffe View Post
    I have an ear infection brewing and my RB class is in 6 days Just noticed it last night, all day today I have been using some Rx drops I've had laying around. No improvement, worse actually.

Other than being painful, can I dive? or will that cause more problems...I suspect I already know the answer.

I'll be seeing a doctor asap tomorrow. I'm hoping I can get it cleared up for the most part before next Wednesday.
    Mike,

Trolling the forums for medical advice?

If it is otitis externa, the usual drops should help. Can you tell whether it's outer ear infection or middle ear? (Has someone used an otoscope on you is what I mean...)

Go see the MD, much better advice from him/her, methinks...

Dive safe and hopr it clears up fast.

Celia

"Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mmcauliffe View Post

I had two in the past 3 years. Every time I ended up on oral antibiotic. Cipro and others. Classic treatment is 10 days if I recall. The first time I felt fine after a few days. I'm sure I could have dove after 5 days. The other time I needed two more 10 day treatment to get rid of it. Really hard to tell.

The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham

What works for me 100% of the time once I get an ear infection is:

Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Suspension, USP

I did get one that wasn't "Suspension" that didn't work as well.

No otoscope. More drops tonight then off to find a doctor tomorrow early...I'm out of town too S FL so I need to throw darts I guess

I have frequent ear infections when I forget to use alcohol + vinegar, I'm almost willing to bet after diving thurs, fri, sat, sun, mon of this week I'll get one. I just go to the UCF health clinic and get a perscript and it seems to clear it asap, I think it's called bausch and lomb. I got one 3 weeks ago, after doing 15 dives in a week.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by gsulliva View Post
    What works for me 100% of the time once I get an ear infection is:

Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisone Otic Suspension, USP

Cool - that's pretty much word for word what I have in my hand...or ear as it were <G> Of course it expired 4/2007

I guess Ive been lucky,I put the ear beer in for at least thirty seconds before and after a dive.If I feel discomfort I put it in several times through out the day.And it always makes it better.[knock on wood]I dont wait around to put it in but do it right when I get back to the truck from the water.

I am currently suffering from the same thing. Cancelled a night dive for tonight and just cancelled for the Spiegel Grove on Sat. Ear infections really suck. I blame it on cave classes, but would did it over again in a heartbeat. I already miss the caves.

Administrator Forum Admin

A quick way to tell the difference between outer and middle ear infections is to tug on your earlobe. It it hurts, it is most likely an outer ear infection. If not, it is middle, and they are a lot more dangerous.

Heat will make an outer ear infection feel better. warm air, or a hot light bulb will ease the pain, and dry it out which will help eliminate the infection.

GO SEE a Doctor!!

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers