Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bahamas

Post Bahamas

Hi,

want to go to Bahames for cave diving this november. GBI - maybe with a trip to Abaco and Andros.

As I experienced unguided diving last year in Florida I again want to go unguided. How are the rules about that and what base supports just rental of equipment.

Greetings... Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Hi,

want to go to Bahames for cave diving this november. GBI - maybe with a trip to Abaco and Andros.

As I experienced unguided diving last year in Florida I again want to go unguided. How are the rules about that and what base supports just rental of equipment.

Greetings... Digger
    Hi Digger,

I don't believe that you can dive Abaco caves unguided anymore. They were trying to preserve the caves, and Brian was working on making them guided only. (I'm going by what Brian Kakuk told me a few months back).

I don't know about Andros.

Talk to Brian at www.bahamasunderground.com He will give you all the details.

Safe Diving

Mike Edmonston
    NAUI Technical Instructor
    Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
    US NAVY Submariner TM2/ss 1988 - 1996
    Currently US ARMY Military Police NTM-A TSS-COSTALL Spin Boldak Afghanistan 2010 - ??
    Instructor Trainer and NATO Advisor to Afghan National Police Force and Afghan Border Patrol

Florida is totaly doable unguided, lots of people to help with free advise. Hell, just follow the flotillia of white vans or pick-up trucks sporting NSS-CDS, NACD & IANTD stickers to the dive sites & shops.

Bahamas is different. You will save time and get a better value for your dollar with a guide.

AND like Mike said, it may be required to have a guide. But even if it's not, a guide (Brian Kakuk is an awesome choice) will make your cave diving experiance in the Bahamas well worth the additional cost. He may even actually save you money if you consider your lost time = money.

Last edited by Line Squirrel; 06-12-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

TraceMalin on TDS he has been living there off and on he can give you the low down.

Russel

Hi,

thanks for the infos. I understand the benefits of using a guide. But cost of up to 300USD for 2 dives including tanks and gas are an issue if you want to dive a two week holiday.

How is the situation in grand bahama?

See you... Digger

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Hi,

thanks for the infos. I understand the benefits of using a guide. But cost of up to 300USD for 2 dives including tanks and gas are an issue if you want to dive a two week holiday.

How is the situation in grand bahama?

See you... Digger
    I know the larger systems on Grand Bahama are guided dives only. Maybe a few smaller, or offshore sites, may be self guided.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Default Diving Grand Bahama

Check out the website of Xanadu Undersea Adventures for info on tank rentals/fills.

E mail me if you want more information.

Ben Cook

Thanks for the help. Everything is organized now...
    I will report end of november