Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Spool lost in Little River

Hey Gang, Trying to help out a customer. He lost a brand new Dive Rite finger spool in LR yesterday (1/2/05). It came off the double-ender so just the spool was lost. Somewhere between the entrance and the second (small) "T".
    Please PM me or call Dive Outpost (386-776-1449) if you find it and we can get it back to him

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Default Finger Spools

I did the exact same thing New Years Eve at the CDF social in Ginnie. I reached back, felt the empty clip hanging there, undid it, held it in front of my face and said "Good Riddance" to that annoyance! I don't know how many times that stupid thing came off the clip. I firmly beleive they are more dangerous than they are worth. I could just envision that happening in Shangri-La and being stuck in there like a chinese string-igami torture toy.

I won't be replacing it, that's for sure.

If you found mine in Ginnie, knock yourself out or send it back to me, i'll be using it for a Yo-yo instead.

It's happened to me also.

That's one reason for putting a pocket on the next suit I get... They will be going in the pocket in order and numbered.

Double the the Tanks, Double the run, Add a stage for more fun..... Keep on Diving.

Genesis

Yeah, I keep 'em in my drysuit pocket - that way they can't "come off".

Default Hi Dwain

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain

That's one reason for putting a pocket on the next suit I get... They will be going in the pocket in order and numbered.
    Saw you playing frisbee at the social, sorry didn't get a chance to say hi.

Unfortunately I've gone through 2 back zippers this month and I had a loaner suit

Default Re: Finger Spools

Quote Originally Posted by Widiver_Paul
    I did the exact same thing New Years Eve at the CDF social in Ginnie. I reached back, felt the empty clip hanging there, undid it, held it in front of my face and said "Good Riddance" to that annoyance! I don't know how many times that stupid thing came off the clip. I firmly beleive they are more dangerous than they are worth. I could just envision that happening in Shangri-La and being stuck in there like a chinese string-igami torture toy.
    I had one come loose while in Ginnie. Gary & I didn't notice it until we were coming out of the ear, the flow grabbed the line and started blowing it all over! Glad there were no other divers in the water with us. We were actually attached to each other at one point, but we had time during deco to straighten things out and it was no big deal in the end, but a crazy experiance.

Default Re: Hi Dwain

Quote Originally Posted by Widiver_Paul

Saw you playing frisbee at the social, sorry didn't get a chance to say hi.
    Should have said something... There were so many there that I didn't get to talk to everyone. But did get in a dive.

Double the the Tanks, Double the run, Add a stage for more fun..... Keep on Diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwain

I've never had a problem with a spool coming loose like that, but I do keep them in a pocket when diving dry. When diving wet....I don't have any pockets, so I just attach them to the butt D-ring. Never a problem, even in tight sidemount areas.

Actually, I use a spool as my safety. No reels for me, except for a primary. I'd rather risk the line coming off the spool than risk my safety reel jamming when I need it most.

Mike

Default spools

I've decided after this happening repeatedly when attatched externally that they are unsafe to attach this way. I like having them as an option for a safety, but only in a pocket.

And the stock spools are useless anyway in 36-50 degree waters we have up here with the small aperature hole in the center you can't get a finger with 2 layers of glove through...

Genesis

Ditto on the spool .vs. reel thing.

I can easily carry two spools in my pocket along with a backup mask, and one on my left waist D-ring. The last one (in the pocket) is my 'safety'.

I've found that the issue of them coming undone is largely due to clutter and being wound too full which tends to make the snap "stick" as it rotates in the hole and leads to it levering out. The former is a matter of not having too much clutter in one place. The latter is solved for the one I carry on the outside by using yellow high-vis line of a slightly thinner caliber and underwinding it, so the holes are more "exposed". That's my "larger jump and gap" reel in caves - and also the one I typically use for shooting a bag in the ocean.