Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default A Glimmering in Darkness

I just finished Graham Balcombe's book "A Glimmering in Darkness", edited by Duncan Price
    and published 2007 by the British Cave Diving Group. An excellent book - lots of history about the beginnings of British cave diving starting in the 1930's, up into the mid-1950's. Much of it is original source material from the logs and notebooks kept by the divers at the time. They were very determined - not only were they inventing equipment and techniques as they went along, but they were bicycling many miles to the caves hauling all their gear in rucksacks or in a little trailer!

This book is produced by "Lulu" - they have it in electronic format, and when you order it, they print it off, bind it up, and mail it out. I had no experience with such a process, and half expected a poorly put together product of some desktop publishing operation in someone's cellar. What I got was a nicely bound hardcover book with well reproduced photos - much higher quality than I had anticipated.

I read "A Glimmering in Darkness" with my old favorite copy of Martyn Farr's "The Darkness Beckons" close at hand. They complement each other very well; Farr's book goes into more detail on some events that were just mentioned in passing in "A Glimmering", and has more photos. (Especially of the AFLOLAUN, a piece of equipment described in "A Glimmering", that has to be seen to be appreciated!) Balcombe's book has the advantage of being the original source material - written by the people doing the dives! A great book - anyone interested in the beginnings of cave diving should read it.

Mike

Last edited by MORGAN; 01-15-2008 at 10:48 AM.

I have read it as well. I was really amazed at these guys' dedication. Riding a bike for 25 or 30 miles towing their gear behind them. Unbelievable! Additionally, the gear was so completely makeshift, that it's a wonder that more of them weren't killed in the process!

Randy Thornton
    CCR Cave Instructor, CCR Instructor Trainer
    TDI Training Advisory Panel member

www.diveaddicts.com
    www.sub-gravity.com
    www.tekdiveusa.com

Just a heads up - it is now available in softback £10 + p&p or about $15 to the former colonies.

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperbac...rkness/7966028