Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cave vandalism hotline

As far as purposeful damage to the caves divers policing divers was suggested as the only real method.

One person suggested setting up a hotline (maybe NACD or NSSCDS ) you could call and make a complaint about a divers behavior/skills.

I assume there is no such number to call now?

Gary,

I am not aware of a specific phone number but there are e-mail addresses for the conversation committee chairs of both the CDS and NCAD on their respective websites.

You could always put up a sign at the steps or cave entrance that states:
    "REPORT CAVE VANDALISM - GET A REWARD - CASH@NACD.COM"

Or something to that nature

Mike Edmonston
    NAUI Technical Instructor
    Oxycheq Experimental Dive Team Test Pilot
    US NAVY Submariner TM2/ss 1988 - 1996
    Currently US ARMY Military Police NTM-A TSS-COSTALL Spin Boldak Afghanistan 2010 - ??
    Instructor Trainer and NATO Advisor to Afghan National Police Force and Afghan Border Patrol

If you see someone vandalizing the cave call 911 or report it to the Park staff. The Florida statute is there for this exact purpose. Calling a hotline and reporting that "x" vandalized a cave could never result in a successful prosecution. /Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill
    If you see someone vandalizing the cave call 911 or report it to the Park staff. The Florida statute is there for this exact purpose. Calling a hotline and reporting that "x" vandalized a cave could never result in a successful prosecution. /Ken
    The hotline number can be the Park Ranger / staff #.

I don't have Janet's number at peacock, so how would I get a hold of her if she is somewhere else on the property??

Mike Edmonston
    Currently US ARMY Military Police NTM-A TSS-COSTALL Spin Boldak Afghanistan 2010 - ??
    Instructor Trainer and NATO Advisor to Afghan National Police Force and Afghan Border Patrol

Keep this in your kit...

When you see the damage being done, as soon as you exit the cave, give this thing a good 3 second pulse 3 times and I bet you'll have all sorts of attention / rangers come your way... That way you could definitely get the perp's attention along with making the report.

Otherwise, it must not be that important to you, if you need an anonymous hotline to call.

That's my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by defunct
    Keep this in your kit...

When you see the damage being done, as soon as you exit the cave, give this thing a good 3 second pulse 3 times and I bet you'll have all sorts of attention / rangers come your way... That way you could definitely get the perp's attention along with making the report.

Otherwise, it must not be that important to you, if you need an anonymous hotline to call.

That's my $.02
    Noone said it had to be anonymous, but I do like the Air horn... Will it work underwater

Mike Edmonston

Quote Originally Posted by defunct
    Keep this in your kit...

[
    Maybe there is a model with an inflator hose adaptor ... to cool /K

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Edmonston
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill
    The hotline number can be the Park Ranger / staff #.

I don't have Janet's number at peacock, so how would I get a hold of her if she is somewhere else on the property??
    Unfortunately you could tell Richard the ranger,but he would call law enforcement,which will take awhile to respond. I have written down tag number and vehicle description to turn into the proper official. A hot line number for information on cave vandalism has been publicized,it is the CDS# at 352-625-7192

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop
    A hot line number for information on cave vandalism has been publicized,it is the CDS# at 352-625-7192
    Hey, great!

So "To report cave vandalism call 911 or the CDS hot line number at 352-625-7192".

What a great idea!

Personally, until Ken and Kelly said this it wouldn't have occured to me to cal either. I'd have probably gone looking for the ranger and accomplished nothing.

Now if we can just get a few signs made up and placed at a few cave sites we'd really be getting somewhere.