Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Eagle's Nest status

Over the extended Thanksgiving weekend, a group of divers worked to install goldline in the upstream tunnel of Eagle's Nest.

We successfully placed goldline from the entrance to the back of the cave at approximately 2,500 feet, and pulled out all old line. Those familiar with the cave may remember the portion of the tunnel where four parallel lines ran close together for almost five hundred feet. Two of these lines were ill-placed lines forming front and back lines for the Challenge Circuit. The front line is now cut back to make a short jump, which is marked on the goldline. The parallel extension to the back line was also cut out; it can now be found on the back wall across from where the goldline takes a hard left turn at ~1,850 feet. At this time the back jump is not marked (ran out of arrows and time). But the jump is short and easily visible (barring poor visibility). We also cleaned up portions of the Circuit, where we found incorrect directional arrows and saw other issues. We were unable to completely address the Circuit line, but it is now better than it was.

All dives we conducted on Megalodon close circuit rebreathers with bottom times ranging from 50 - 80 minutes.

DIVERS:
    Brian Armstrong
    Heather Armstrong
    Michael Barnette
    Joe Citelli
    Corey Mearns
    Steve Muslin

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    Dive Rite
    Halcyon
    Salvo
    NSS-CDS
    Brett Hemphill
    Steve Stratsma

Goldline now runs in both the upstream and downstream tunnels, and several thousand feet of redundant or unecessary line have been removed. Hopefully this will make the cave safer for future divers.
    Michael C. Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers
    http://uwex.us

Outstanding job. How were conditions?

Conditions were nice. Visibility was 60-70 feet, which deteriorated a little during the four days we were working. Should be real nice this coming week.

TONS of hunters; there was an actual traffic jam in there on Saturday, and parking was tight believe it or not.

If anyone knows the refuge rangers or management, could you pass on the dumpster is at max capacity.
    Michael C. Barnette

Default Re: Eagle's Nest status

Thanks everyone!
    I not ready or trained to dive there yet but I appreciate the efforts to make it safer.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by barney00

All dives we conducted on Megalodon close circuit rebreathers with bottom times ranging from 50 - 80 minutes.

DIVERS:
    Brian Armstrong
    Heather Armstrong
    Michael Barnette
    Joe Citelli
    Corey Mearns
    Steve Muslin

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    Dive Rite
    Halcyon
    Salvo
    NSS-CDS
    Brett Hemphill
    Steve Stratsma

Goldline now runs in both the upstream and downstream tunnels, and several thousand feet of redundant or unecessary line have been removed. Hopefully this will make the cave safer for future divers.

Quote Originally Posted by barney00
    If anyone knows the refuge rangers or management, could you pass on the dumpster is at max capacity.
    Michael,

Lines looked good. I couldn't resist checking them out after arriving late yesterday and meeting you as you were leaving. Nice! Oh, the basin was a bit messed up from all your deco no doubt, but not too bad..

That dumpster was packed last Tuesday, so I don't think its been emptied for a while. If anyone knows who to contact, I think the anti-bear lock is broken on the left side... I wonder if there is any bears left alive with all the hunters around...

Quote Originally Posted by tj
    Michael,

Lines looked good. I couldn't resist checking them out after arriving late yesterday and meeting you as you were leaving. Nice! Oh, the basin was a bit messed up from all your deco no doubt, but not too bad..
    Thanks. Yes, we pulled all our safeties out yesterday as we exited, as well as all the reels of old line, along with scooters, deco tanks, etc. So the basin looked pretty much like a dive shop
    Michael C. Barnette