Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ABS Backplates

Default ABS Backplates

I have Dive Rite ABS backplate I bought new years ago and I was thinking about adding a new Oxycheq harness to it. It occured to me though that I don't ever see anyone diving with an ABS backplate and wondered if I was missing something. Are there any issues with them I should know about? They are less expensive and seem pretty durable. There must be a reason they aren't that popular.
    I do have an aluminium backplate that I already use with another harness. I just thought I'd put this ABS one to use also.
    Okay......Let er rip!!!

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Actually I have an ABS backplate that I use with a STA that I like a lot. If I understand correctly,the ABS backplates became more expensive to make then the aluminum,plus during the era of the cave diving internet flame wars,ABS backplates made you a s****e,and lost favor.

I must have dove my ABS backplate for more then 10 years. I bought an aluminum one just a few years ago. Either works fine.

The aluminum one is obviously rougher on the 2" webbing. The holes in my ABS where the screws come through wore larger and larger over the years. The aluminum one sits a little firmer on my back because it doesn't bend as much and I don't need washers to back up the wingnuts.

I guess the most important consideration was that my old ABS only had a slot built for a 1" crotch strap. I can't imagine living with a one inch crotch strap these days so the old ABS is out. I don't remember how expensive the AL backplate was but it was little enough to be a impulse buy. I like it fine and not sorry I bought it.

There are people out there claiming all sorts of stupid reasons not to buy an ABS but I doubt many of them are fact. Kathleen bought a used one that may have 20 years of use on it and probably dove in the artic circle and (other then the crotch strap) it's fine.

Default abs backplate

I have been diving an abs plate for over a year and dont have any problems with it. I dive double 72's to double 95;s and it works great
    and I dont care what other people think about it. It's mine. Richard

Well that settles that. Oxycheq harness....meet ABS backplate.
    Now I got two rigs! WooHoo!!
    By the way, anybody who would consider calling me or anyone else that derogatory "S" word is more than likely trying to compensate for their their own short comings, sexual dysfunction, feelings of inadequacy and all around smallness..............unless of course it happens to be true

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

I have had one for 15??? years. I did use it with doubles, but I bought a SS plate for the weight. The ABS still sees a lot of STA work though!!!

"Is this thing on?"