Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stage Rigging

Default Stage Rigging

I have two 40 cu ft. AL stage bottles, what is the best way to rig them?
    Pictures would really help.
    Thanks,
    -Chip

Here's a pretty good demonstration:

http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/stages.html

Just don't start taking their ratio deco nonsense too seriously on that website!!!!

Typing "stage bottle rigging" in Google gives some great... and some abysmal answers. The 5thdx approach is pretty good. Here's another reasonable one:

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/st...e_rigging.html

Andrew Ainslie

Almost extinct cave diver

Thanks!

I notice both of the rigs you referenced have nylon rope rather than a strap like the dive rite stage kit. Is this so it can be cut away easily? Or just because it is cheaper to make?

Another question related to stage setup. What is the truth regarding regulators with higher O2 (like 85-90%) deco mix? Can you use a regular reg (40%), does it have to be specially cleaned, or do I need to be looking at buying a special reg?

Thanks,
    -Chip

i use a regular dive rite reg for my oxygen bottle, and I didnt oxygen clean it and I have had no problems with it. It is designated as my oxygen reg, so I dont ever use it with anything else though. I would suggest getting a 40% reg and designating it to your higher deco mixes to keep it clean. The oxygen cleaning is up to you, ive heard it go both ways.

The rope is the result of the DIY nature of those straps (just knot it together, no need to sew it as with web straps.) Both work equally well so use what strikes your fancy and be happy. O2 cleaning is a good thing and it is not that difficult to perform at home; minimally you should ensure that the reg you will be using has O2 compatible orings and has been lubed with aa O2 compatible grease (such as is the case for those regs rated for 40%; most manufacturers will not call them O2 compatible to avoid liability issues.)

DeWayne

The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

I mainly use mountaineering rope. I've tried using webbing and I just prefer the rope - easy and quick to set up and the webbing just doesn't seem to offer any real advantages. At a push I've used yellow polyprop rope during a trip, with a cam band at the bottom to hold it in place - worked great.

Many people don't ever bother to O2 clean a new reg from the major manufacturers (don't want to break rules here!). But iO2 cleaning is pretty easy - Ivory dish detergent and a bit of shaking and scrubbing will do it. Just go easy - the internals are made of bronze and damage easily.

Andrew Ainslie

Almost extinct cave diver

Hey!!, I kinda like the idea of mountaineering rope. Do the size of the knots pose any problem? I would think you could get away from using the rubber covering with the mountain rope too.

Thanks all for your replies.
    -Chip

I find the rope mind-boggling. The first time I saw that one site I was convinced it was satire. "Don't use the handle as a handle." Priceless.

My instructor showed me a cheap and easy way to rig a stage. However, in a never-ending attempt to reinvent the wheel, I have tried several other methods. But several years ago I realized none of these were any cheaper, or as good.

My instructor's stage strap can be made in about thirty minutes, for under ten bucks. You need about two feet of 1" webbing, two stage clamps, two clips, and a 2" ring. Plus a needle and thread.

The picture below shows a 30, a 40, and a 72 (the 30 and 72 have Dive Rite hose retainers on them, which have nothing to do with the stage strap). The handle can be used as a handle on any of them.

Thanks Sludge, clean setup. Are the 2 inch rings sewn to the webbing or is the webbing just looped thru the ring?

-Chip

It's just looped through.