Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Florida Cave Map

Does anyone know of a map of the state of florida that shows cave names on it?

Ginnie Springs & Dive OutPost have a pretty neat fold up map.

Mike M

If they're the ones i'm thinking of then they're small local maps. I'm looking for something that covers the whole state. Or even large parts of the state with small dots where the caves are.

Default whole state

No, the map covers the whole state (although maybe Miami is not included?). They have dots where the sites are, names too. They also have insets showing close-ups with details of the back roads to get to the sites. Each site gets it's own inset. Not all cave sites are on the map (noncommercial, no charge, hidden in the woods, word of mouth only), but it's pretty up to date and as far as I can tell all the state parks, private sites, caverns, and springs are there too, so you can find nearby camping, towns, etc. The waterproof paper version is about $20, the regular paper version is about $10.

For those of us who visit every so often, it's a really good investment. Once you've been to all the sites a few times, the map like most maps is not so useful.

-skip
    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

Though it only covers North Central Florida, and only the most popular sites, I like this one. http://www.cavediving.com/aftp/cave_map.pdf

Where would I go about getting that one skip? As for Kirk, thank you very much that is exactly what I was looking for. I think I exageratted when I said the whole state. That will do. Lol.

Like I said, Ginnie or Dive Outpost, Same map

Mike M

Default Re: Florida Cave Map

Quote Originally Posted by IlikeScuba
    Does anyone know of a map of the state of florida that shows cave names on it?
    Here's a couple state of Florida maps with Springs (some of which are caves):

Complete Florida Springs Map & Guide
    Find 91 different Florida springs with detailed index, overall state map, large insects, pictures and more.
    Details: ownership, spring facilities, descriptions, detailed insect maps and interesting springs information.
    www.floridasprings.net
    salesfs@floridasprings.net
    Freshwater Publication
    2 Market St #114
    Chattanooga, TN 37402
    (423)505-3270
    PMB #304

Put A Spring In Your Step
    Discovering Freshwater Springs In Florida State Parks
    Florida Department of Environmental Protection
    Division of Recreation and Parks
    www.myflorida.com
    Mail Station #536
    3900 Commonwealth Blvd.
    Tallahassee, FL 32399-3000
    (850)488-9872

ILikeScuba

The first one Chip described, (Complete Fla. Springs Map) is the one Skip & I are talking about, Skip has one & we use it religiously when in cave country.

Mike M

Default Re: Florida Cave Map

I have some books with maps, directions, and contact numbers (these are often better references than the maps):

Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida (the 10th edition has 133 Springs, Sinks and Rivers)

The Springs of Florida by Doug Stamm

Camper's Guide to Florida Parks, Trails, Rivers, and Beaches by Mickey Little