Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Headed to Buford

So, I am headed to Buford for the first time next week and looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has made the trek.

1. I have a cart like the one at Jug Hole for hauling gear but wondering if a sturdy hand truck would be a better option.

2. Wondering if anyone knows what the weather has been like down there recently for some sort of idea of how insane the trek through the swamp with doubles will be.

Appreciate any advice.

Dominick

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhippi View Post
    So, I am headed to Buford for the first time next week and looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has made the trek.

1. I have a cart like the one at Jug Hole for hauling gear but wondering if a sturdy hand truck would be a better option.

2. Wondering if anyone knows what the weather has been like down there recently for some sort of idea of how insane the trek through the swamp with doubles will be.

Appreciate any advice.

Dominick
    I am not sure either would help. Unless there is a severe drought, you are slogging through mud part of the way.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

You may want to rethink that. Buford's likely going to be a mess. I always take a big cart like at Jug for one trip. The walk from the end of the trail to the spring will likely be almost knee deep mud right now if I had to guess. I love buford, but you couldn't pay me to go right now. With all the rain we've had combined with the lack of heat to burn some of it off, it's gonna be nasty. I usually dive dry and have on a couple of occasions created a leak in my suit from slugging through crap to buford. And I use rockboots. Hip waders may be a smart idea if you're really that game to go.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I am not sure either would help. Unless there is a severe drought, you are slogging through mud part of the way.

A cart helps get all of your tanks to the end of the trail before the mud slog. Though it all may be a mud slog now. I also think rain's coming this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    You may want to rethink that. Buford's likely going to be a mess. I always take a big cart like at Jug for one trip. The walk from the end of the trail to the spring will likely be almost knee deep mud right now if I had to guess. I love buford, but you couldn't pay me to go right now. With all the rain we've had combined with the lack of heat to burn some of it off, it's gonna be nasty. I usually dive dry and have on a couple of occasions created a leak in my suit from slugging through crap to buford. And I use rockboots. Hip waders may be a smart idea if you're really that game to go.
    Thank you! I had a feeling it might be a real mess right now. This was exactly the information I was looking for.

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

I could be wrong but I highly suspect itll be bad. If you?re up for an adventure then at least you?ll get a walk in the woods. Last time we saved a dog that the hunter couldnt find for 3 days. She couldnt walk well because her front leg was trapped in her tracking collar. Made for a memorable day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dominick, when you do go, it may be helpful to have a buddy who has make the trek from the end of the trail to the sink. If I had not been with a someone who had been there before, I would not have found it. Also, a walking stick (we used PVC) is helpful.

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    Dominick, when you do go, it may be helpful to have a buddy who has make the trek from the end of the trail to the sink. If I had not been with a someone who had been there before, I would not have found it. Also, a walking stick (we used PVC) is helpful.
    Alright Sandy, just let me know when you are ready!!!

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

1. Go when its NOT rain season....
    2. Single tank it, gear up at the parking area and walk in... you wont want to use a cart because at the end of the trail the mosquitoes will carry you off before you get into your gear.
    3. Getting TO Buford is WAY easier than getting back to the trail, GPS generally won't work because of the dense canopy.

I generally wear long pants and long sleeve t-shirt for the ENTIRE trip.... pants being something light weight (not jeans) as an over pant that can protect me from general scratches and such as well as the mosquitoes. Yes I dive in them as well. Unless your doing something specific a single 80 AL will give you a great dive. My typical profile is once into the cavern zone I head straight down to the 100' boulder and then do a circular dive around the room as I work myself up back to the entrance. One dive has always been plenty for me, we did see an alligator ONCE, he was 3-4 feet and sitting on a ledge getting into the cavern.... was gone when we exited.... never seen any snakes but I'm sure they were there.

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Only time I ever dove it was in January or February 3 or 4 years ago, and I am ready to go back! I'll stay in touch.

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson