Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Was Gilchrist Blue ever explored?

I stopped by to swim after leaving the swap meet on Saturday. That got me wondering if the vent goes anywhere, and if so, whether or not it had ever been explored or mapped? I googled it and found nothing.

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." - Mark Twain

Sidemount to nomount. Speculation of connection with upstream Ginnie and Rum Island springs (AKA New Ginnie), and my understanding is that State Park authority does not allow scuba diving there. That are rumors...

That is funny. I was there Saturday right before park closing because I've never seen it and the pictures looked pretty. I was not in the water but was asking those that were how big it looked

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    Sidemount to nomount. Speculation of connection with upstream Ginnie and Rum Island springs (AKA New Ginnie), and my understanding is that State Park authority does not allow scuba diving there. That are rumors...
    Do you have any links or sources for further info? If it only goes a few feet into no-mount or otherwise impassible passage, I guess it doesn't matter as there wouldn't be much to research or learn. Looking into the vent made me curious and I'd like to read more if there is anything written about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob191 View Post
    That is funny. I was there Saturday right before park closing because I've never seen it and the pictures looked pretty. I was not in the water but was asking those that were how big it looked

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I was there from roughly 4:00pm to 5:20pm or so in a grey SUV parked right across from the spring basin. We left a few minutes before dark.

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
    Do you have any links or sources for further info? If it only goes a few feet into no-mount or otherwise impassible passage, I guess it doesn't matter as there wouldn't be much to research or learn. Looking into the vent made me curious and I'd like to read more if there is anything written about it..
    I've heard people dove it a long time ago and no connections were found. I never believe that any spring has no potential because I personally found caves were folks said there is none. Also our caves are live creatures - some stuff gets washed out, some gets collapsed, some gets open by accident. For example the last weekend I walked in woods and found a huge cypress tree uprooted 15x15 footprint. It cleared a limestone plate with 12 ft deep pit karst window right in the middle. It was not passable but demonstrates that things change here at every seasonal flood or hurricane.

I went to school with the Davis family's (who used to own it) sons. Eric, the older son told me that Wes Skiles had dove there a few times and found some no mount passage but that's basically it.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    I went to school with the Davis family's (who used to own it) sons. Eric, the older son told me that Wes Skiles had dove there a few times and found some no mount passage but that's basically it.
    I have heard stories like this to only find out the people who told that to the owner were clueless or flat out lied. I certainly know from diving Rock Bluff that Wes's map is very incomplete. There is way more cave there than what is shown on his map. You never really know unless you go.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I have heard stories like this to only find out the people who told that to the owner were clueless or flat out lied. I certainly know from diving Rock Bluff that Wes's map is very incomplete. There is way more cave there than what is shown on his map. You never really know unless you go.
    I know a team that checked out the site around the time of state purchase for research purposes, and confirmed it is tight sidemount to no mount. I know of several maps/projects of Wes that weren't complete. If you ever talked to Wes, in many cases he planned to go back to sites,but he had so many projects, especially his paying ones, that he didn't have time, and they sat unfinished.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick