Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bottom Clipping Stage Bottles

Anyone out there who bottom clips their stage bottles when Sidemount diving can you send me a picture of your bottle rigging.

To date I?ve only top mounted my stage bottles when SM diving.

Thanks in advance.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

I will try and find some time to send some. We use the ?dave? stage rigging, invented by Dave Jones. Its an alteration of Edd?s top mount rigging. The only big drawback is the first stage faces down. Obviousky not ideal for super tight areas, but I?ve yet to have an issue. If I know I?ll be in a tight area I?ll just use a dir rigged stage. In reality if its a concern you?d be dropping it anyway. It definitely keeps it tucked in tight and is much more streamlined than most top mount stages.

Hopefully I?ll post photos tomorrow

not sure if this will work or not, this is how mine ride

note the silver tank on top of my butt is an O2 bottle that is tail clipped, that's not the tank on the other side.

Standard DIR stage rigging. I tried up top. I always questioned the ability of a diver to do a proper gas switch and verify the reg/bottle on top. Photo sent.

Quote Originally Posted by jebernot View Post
    Standard DIR stage rigging. I tried up top. I always questioned the ability of a diver to do a proper gas switch and verify the reg/bottle on top. Photo sent.
    Different color hoses/regs do a nice job of creating a visual difference.

Also there?s the ANDI way with labeling the percentage on the hose near the reg.

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I will try and find some time to send some. We use the ?dave? stage rigging, invented by Dave Jones. Its an alteration of Edd?s top mount rigging. The only big drawback is the first stage faces down. Obviousky not ideal for super tight areas, but I?ve yet to have an issue. If I know I?ll be in a tight area I?ll just use a dir rigged stage. In reality if its a concern you?d be dropping it anyway. It definitely keeps it tucked in tight and is much more streamlined than most top mount stages.

Hopefully I?ll post photos tomorrow

Yes. That?s what I?m looking for. When Dave and I were on the CDS Board he showed me his method but being short and blonde I have forgotten.

Earnest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Different color hoses/regs do a nice job of creating a visual difference.

Also there?s the ANDI way with labeling the percentage on the hose near the reg.

The problem I have with colored hoses as an identification technique is if something is wrong with the reg on the dive site (leaky hose, blown first stage), I'm personally likely to just reach into my box of regs and pull a spare reg that may/may not have the right color coding rather than spending valuable time swapping hoses and stuff around. The minute that happens, the "green hose = oxygen" protocol has been broken. But no matter what, I can be sure that if my cylinder is analyzed and labelled correctly, the reg that is attached to it will be delivering the gas that the cylinder says it holds.

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    The problem I have with colored hoses as an identification technique is if something is wrong with the reg on the dive site (leaky hose, blown first stage), I'm personally likely to just reach into my box of regs and pull a spare reg that may/may not have the right color coding rather than spending valuable time swapping hoses and stuff around. The minute that happens, the "green hose = oxygen" protocol has been broken. But no matter what, I can be sure that if my cylinder is analyzed and labelled correctly, the reg that is attached to it will be delivering the gas that the cylinder says it holds.
    Agreed. No system is perfect.

Earnest Shackleton

I personally would never bm anything but bottom gas. I really don't see the need to do it as generally you aren't swimming or scootering very far with your deco gas. I will butt clip and O2 or other deco bottle going into a cave but I definitely want to be able to verify any rich mixes before swapping onto them.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I personally would never bm anything but bottom gas. I really don't see the need to do it as generally you aren't swimming or scootering very far with your deco gas. I will butt clip and O2 or other deco bottle going into a cave but I definitely want to be able to verify any rich mixes before swapping onto them.
    I?m diving with the Sidewinder mCCR. Top mount position is taken by the scrubbers.

Earnest Shackleton