Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Gene Broome. A name from the past for sure, along with the Branford Dive Shop. Test question for all you "old guys" on the forum---What famous brand of car did Gene drive back in the early 90's?
    Horse and carriage to tote your back mounted doubles down to the water hole?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    Horse and carriage to tote your back mounted doubles down to the water hole?

I said "old guys" You weren't even born yet!!

Now you are discriminating against my age and not allow me to participate? Moderators please step in

Administrator Forum Admin

I qualify age wise, but I don't think I ever saw Gene's car. FWIW, Larry Green had an Aqua Car. You could drive it on the road, down a boat ramp, and into the water. It had propellers for in water use.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Who remembers the t-shirts and sweat shirts that said: "Branford Dive Center, Branford FL, Cave Diving Capital of the World" ?

I had a sweatshirt that lasted many years, but ultimately ended life as a shop rag.

Cool The Branford RV camp ground !

I had one ! I may have been the 1st Branford camper to set up off my Honda CBX in the town park behind his shop, while going to Cave school ! The BPD knew me fairly well !

Really surprised that nobody remembers Gene's car. It was a vehicle that you would not expect to see parked in front of a dive shop, especially in a place like Branford, Fl.
    That shop really was the hub of the cave diving capital of the world back in the 80's. All of the instructors of that era taught out of there at one time or another. In addition to his unusual car, Gene was also the Fire Chief and I think the Mayor at one time. I have an old "Skin Diver" magazine with a full page add that showed the inside of his shop with a stack of AL80's piled up to the ceiling that were for sale for around $90 bucks or so. Here was a man who had it all, and lost it all.

Administrator Forum Admin

FWIW, Gene was indeed Mayor of Branford. He also took over the shop by default when Phil Janza skipped town after scamming most of his customers. Gene had loaned Phil the most money, which made his a full partner in the shop.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    FWIW, Gene was indeed Mayor of Branford. He also took over the shop by default when Phil Janza skipped town after scamming most of his customers. Gene had loaned Phil the most money, which made his a full partner in the shop.
    That shop must have had a curse on it. The horror stories and criminal stuff that happened there, are probably best not discussed here on the forum. Once again, a man who had it all and then lost it all. Back to the car for the third time. Wonder where the money came from to buy that toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    That shop must have had a curse on it. The horror stories and criminal stuff that happened there, are probably best not discussed here on the forum. Once again, a man who had it all and then lost it all. Back to the car for the third time. Wonder where the money came from to buy that toy!
    Was it made of stainless steel? I remember seeing a DeLorean around Branford, but I have no idea if it was Gene's.

"Those who the gods seek to destroy, first learn how to play golf."
    "Doing nothing is very hard to do.... you never know when you're finished."
    "Yes, golf can be taught ... it's just that it can't be learned."
    " I am serious.... and don't all me Shirley."

Leslie Nielsen 11-28-2010

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads