Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1

    Default Drysuit questions??

    So I did my drysuit cert on Saturday... two dives at a quarry, first was skills then a 68 minute dive at 35' to 40', surface interval then 2nd dive long enough to meet requirements and skills.....

    Two questions
    1. I've done at least as long dives... but I was ZAPPED after I left the quarry.... The drysuit is not streamlined (I've lost a lot of weight since I bought it) could that attribute to my exhaustion post dives?

    2. Started the dives with two LP85's at 3000, when I hit 2000 on both I was positive at 15'. What do you guys do to add extra weight? I probably only need 4 to 6 lbs... (yes bcd and drysuit were purged as much as possible).

    Heading to PennyRoyal quarry in Kentucky this coming weekend to get more dives in... feeling very comfortable so far, so you will likely see me in a drysuit in November.

    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

  2. #2

    Default

    A badly fitting suit is a plague...likely you were fighting drag. Maybe Steve Gamble can alter the suit for you? Re: the weight - you'll be playing with that for a few dives. I use keel weights and a weight belt (but my open water diving is done using a single 85 LP and a wing). Good luck, and stay warm.

    Barbara/San Francisco

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    So I did my drysuit cert on Saturday... two dives at a quarry, first was skills then a 68 minute dive at 35' to 40', surface interval then 2nd dive long enough to meet requirements and skills.....

    Two questions
    1. I've done at least as long dives... but I was ZAPPED after I left the quarry.... The drysuit is not streamlined (I've lost a lot of weight since I bought it) could that attribute to my exhaustion post dives?

    2. Started the dives with two LP85's at 3000, when I hit 2000 on both I was positive at 15'. What do you guys do to add extra weight? I probably only need 4 to 6 lbs... (yes bcd and drysuit were purged as much as possible).

    Heading to PennyRoyal quarry in Kentucky this coming weekend to get more dives in... feeling very comfortable so far, so you will likely see me in a drysuit in November.

    Tim
    Adding weight can be accomplished several ways. Single tank, back mounted doubles, or sidemount-which configuration are you planning on diving? Single tank- add weight to the weight belt, and/or dive a steel tank. Backmounted doubles-as mentioned keel weight, and/or stainless steel back plate are possibilities over a weigh belt. Sidemount- PST tanks, weight pockets, weights on tanks (not ideal) are a few. Good luck

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4

    Default

    Most new drysuit divers keep too much air in their suit. This could also be the culprit.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Sidemount- PST tanks, weight pockets, weights on tanks (not ideal) are a few. Good luck
    I was definitely looking for best practices as a side mount diver.... and my biggest issue was weights on tanks or weight on my harness.... so I won't be looking for tank options....

    Thank you

    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    Most new drysuit divers keep too much air in their suit. This could also be the culprit.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Both bcd and suit were vented as much as I could, though it did feel like there was still air in the drysuit. I did have the purge cranked over to the left so it would vent when needed plus putting the vent to the highest point and pushing the button to manually dump air and got no bubbles.

    Thanks for the feedback

    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

  7. #7
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    23,169

    Default

    I have the same problem. I am OK at the beginning of a dive, but if I go all the way to thirds, I am too light to stay on the deco stop. I have started using a steel O2 tank (LP45), for extra weight on deco.

    My sidemount rig has weight pockets, but I hate to use them since I don't need to use them at the beginning of a dive.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,955

    Default

    Being wiped out could be from stress. People really don't factor in that any mental stress (such as taking a class and learning a new skill) often leads to the feel of physical exertion.


    On the weight, I'd chalk it up to inexperience, though you could truly need weight long term. I think most new drysuit divers think they got all of the air out, but actually didn't. I suspect with more experience you may not need weight.


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Being wiped out could be from stress. People really don't factor in that any mental stress (such as taking a class and learning a new skill) often leads to the feel of physical exertion.

    You know I actually thought about this... I actually had a LOT of anxiety about donning the drysuit (and then exiting it)... but didn't think it would physically drain me....

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have the same problem. I am OK at the beginning of a dive, but if I go all the way to thirds, I am too light to stay on the deco stop. I have started using a steel O2 tank (LP45), for extra weight on deco.

    My sidemount rig has weight pockets, but I hate to use them since I don't need to use them at the beginning of a dive.

    I don't mind being a bit over weighted, glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this with a drysuit and steel tanks... I've watched you guys (all the drysuit people) for years and never saw anyone adding extra weight (believe me I was watching) so was afraid it was something as simple as being a newb in a drysuit.


    My bcd/wing doesn't have pockets for extra weight but I did just order two from DRIS this morning since that seemed to be what everyone was leaning towards.


    Thanks,


    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 02:56 PM
  2. SS UV-40 Questions
    By Webmaster in forum Scooters
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2014, 12:59 AM
  3. BC questions...
    By Mighty Mighty Recon in forum Gear, Equipment & Tools for Cave Diving
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 07:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts