Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    I was definitely looking for best practices as a side mount diver.... and my biggest issue was weights on tanks or weight on my harness.... so I won't be looking for tank options....

Thank you

Tim
    Switch to galvanized tanks instead of your fabers. That'll solve your weight issue, if you even have the issue after a properly sized drysuit.

An improper sized drysuit can easily trap air.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Switch to galvanized tanks instead of your fabers. That'll solve your weight issue, if you even have the issue after a properly sized drysuit.

An improper sized drysuit can easily trap air.
    But wait... you sold me those fabers Got any good deals on galvanized? Would like to get a set of LP's in the 104 range.

Yeah, the suit is definitely not a good fit, not near as bad as I expected it to be but still quite baggy. Wish I'd gotten a photo or two from the class... but then that might have gotten me shredded on here for wearing such an ill fitting drysuit.

That could also explain why I felt like all the air wasn't out of the suit when I purged it.... can't explain the feeling though... just felt to airy.

-Tim

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Administrator Forum Admin

I don't mind being a bit over weighted, glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this with a drysuit and steel tanks... I've watched you guys (all the drysuit people) for years and never saw anyone adding extra weight (believe me I was watching) so was afraid it was something as simple as being a newb in a drysuit.

My bcd/wing doesn't have pockets for extra weight but I did just order two from DRIS this morning since that seemed to be what everyone was leaning towards.

Thanks,

Tim
    Yes, the best place for extra weight is on the sidemount harness. Some people thread them on the shoulder straps.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Yes, the best place for extra weight is on the sidemount harness. Some people thread them on the shoulder straps.
    Actually, if you were going to move to LP104's, I'd stick with Fabers. That'll provide the extra weight.

But Faber LP104's for sidemount are just my preference. Others like the galvanized.

I'll take the 85's off your hands

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    I'll take the 85's off your hands

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I learned a long time ago, don't sell what you already have to get something else you want.... Not living close to dive shops means the more air you can keep on hand the better.

Yeah, the suit is definitely not a good fit, not near as bad as I expected it to be but still quite baggy.

-Tim
    Your drysuit is probably now just the right size for Wreck diving in the Great Lakes, with heavy weight thermals.

I experienced the same issues with my first drysuit purchase. I went for value instead of a proper fit for cave diving. Best thing I ever did was to sell that POS and invest in a quality suit that was a proper fit. The leg cramps, exhaustion and being smoked by my dive buddy’s propulsion ended immediately. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Actually, if you were going to move to LP104's, I'd stick with Fabers. That'll provide the extra weight.

But Faber LP104's for sidemount are just my preference. Others like the galvanized.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Faber 104

Quote Originally Posted by RHolmesJr View Post
    exhaustion
    Yep... that right there.... going to get a few more dives in but I'm thinking the suit is going to be the issue.... oh well if that is the case I can at least be prepared for it. Suite to big or still weigh in at over 300 lbs... I'll take the suit being too big for a few months till I can get a sized one.