Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cave History for sale (PM offers)

These items belong in a museum,but that project died, so I am offering these items as a group, and PM offers only. Having an autographed copy of Cavern's Measureless to Man is impossible,but here is the closest opportunity

Sheck Exley's Yellow Pelican light with his name
    Mary Ellen Eckhoff's spool with her name on it
    Steve Berman's Wet Note books with his tables for Diepolder
    Steve Berman's spool with his name on it
    Red Aquatech line arrow that ignited the famous line arrow wars in Mexico.

PM only, and if you want pictures include email
    Thanks

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Would it be possible to have the CDS house some of these things, even if they're not on display? The cave diving museum is a project ripe for revitalization when the right person comes along. We're an aging group, I'm sure we can find someone to put some time into it in the next decade or so, right?

I'd pony up a donation if this were an option.

Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    Would it be possible to have the CDS house some of these things, even if they're not on display? The cave diving museum is a project ripe for revitalization when the right person comes along. We're an aging group, I'm sure we can find someone to put some time into it in the next decade or so, right?

I'd pony up a donation if this were an option.
    Me too.

Not trying to dissuade the sale but... It would be really cool if we could set up a display including these items and other pieces of Cave Diving History at the 2019 International Cave Diving Conference. I know Adam found some awesome stuff in the map archives. I am certain others out there have items that would be of interest to the larger cave diving community. Maybe we could start the dialogue about a museum/archive again with an historical booth at the conference. I for one am definitely interested in helping with the process of archiving the history of cave diving.

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

The NSS is also working on a museum for caving history and has climate controlled storage. Perhaps its worth contacting them about transferring these items, and other historical pieces that were donated to the CDS and/or cave diving museum, for storage. http://caves.org/museum/

Jason Gulley

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    The NSS is also working on a museum for caving history and has climate controlled storage. Perhaps its worth contacting them about transferring these items, and other historical pieces that were donated to the CDS and/or cave diving museum, for storage. http://caves.org/museum/
    I have done the donate to a museum route, and those items disappeared permanently, never to be seen again. The likelihood of a cave diver seeing something in the NSS museum is slim to nil, since #1 most cave divers shun the NSS and #2 would have to travel to Huntsville

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I have done the donate to a museum route, and those items disappeared permanently, never to be seen again. The likelihood of a cave diver seeing something in the NSS museum is slim to nil, since #1 most cave divers shun the NSS and #2 would have to travel to Huntsville
    The CDS might be able to work out a storage agreement/virtual showing until a viable, local alternative can created.

Jason Gulley

Like Kelly, I donated boxes full of stuff for a cave diving museum back in the mid-2000s. It included copies of the NACD Journal and UWS going back to the late 80s, some original gear, training standards, etc. God only knows where that stuff is now.

I still have one of the original AC Delco wire spools in my storage closet. I'm not parting with that...

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post

To be fair, I think private sales also make those items dissapear permanently. At least offering them to the CDS would be a chance that they might end up in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Like Kelly, I donated boxes full of stuff for a cave diving museum back in the mid-2000s. It included copies of the NACD Journal and UWS going back to the late 80s, some original gear, training standards, etc. God only knows where that stuff is now.

I still have one of the original AC Delco wire spools in my storage closet. I'm not parting with that...

So, I get that I am new to this dance and that many of you have been down this path before and ended up getting burned in the process. That said, maybe, just maybe what did not work on the first, second, even third attempt might work if we made just one more attempt. I am seriously interested in actively helping to create an archive of both physical objects and records (photographs) of historically significant achievements / experiments in cave diving. I do think that it will take more than my interest to make this happen. I don't think I am alone. I would like to invite anyone else interested in the potential project to contact me directly. Clearly, the more active participants the better and we absolutely need someone like a Kelly Jessop with a substantive knowledge of the institutional history of cave diving for guidance.

Again, not attempting to undermine the sale. Possibly I should have made a separate post. Administrators please feel free to move my post.

Just because we didn't get it right the first few attempts doesn't mean we necessarily need to abandon the idea.
    I present the following as direct evidence:

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.