Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Or showing up at a dive shop 15 minutes before closing and asking for a couple sets of doubles to be filled with a custom blend...
    Showing up at your favorite restaurant 15 minutes before close and ordering a meal.... THAT is customer service.... when you are closed you are closed, when you are open you are open.... there is no bell curve for when service stops, service stops when you are closed. If as a dive shop you don't provide the service, someone else will.

Stayed late several times when I worked at Divers Supply in Tampa to do fills for customers, there was no banked Nitrox, so it was either air or custom fills.

Thankfully the customers did not take advantage and were appreciative when we went above and beyond.

HOWEVER with the state parks it is NOT about customer service.... it is about obeying the rules/laws, if the park closes at 5pm, it CLOSES at 5pm that doesn't mean you can start your hour (or more for you really dedicated people) long dive it needs to be done and gear packed and pulling out of the park BEFORE 5pm. Can't they ticket you if you are not exiting the park by what ever posted time?

-Tim

Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt @ the 700' marker

Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    On every dive I have my GoPro mounted on my helmet. At the end of the dive ,almost every time, some young person with their family asks me, "What did you see"? I show the kids and their family the video of my dive and without question I always get the same response. "This has made our day. thank you," That little bit of time spent with someone who will probably never see the inside of a cave filled with water will never forget those few moments. I don't post regularly on CDF but this needs to be our focus when we are representing our sport. It takes less time to be nice than it does to make an Ass out of yourself.
    THAT is public education and you ROCK for taking the time!!! I haven't had the ability to do the same (showing video) but I always talk to non-divers if they ask... We need the public educated just like we need the rangers educated. The more positive vibes we can send out the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudhole View Post
    Unfortunately, there's no shortage of inflated egos, and hot air continually flowing from cave country...
    Hopefully I'm not ever identified as an "inflated" ego.....(I can only hope that anyone I've dove with would identify me as humble and continually seeking feedback) but I do tend to poke at the ones that are and that has gotten me into a lot of hot water on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    service stops when you are closed.

-Tim
    Exactly, and the closing hours are stablished well in advance, if you come in with a job that requires more time than it is left on the clock, you’re given an estimate of when it is expected to be completed during business hours. Employees should be able to make plans on their personal life and expect they have free time immediately following closing hours.

Pretty much any quality restaurant I know have different closing hours for the kitchen and doors, often the kitchen will be closed an hour or more before the restaurant closes its doors.

Sure, we don’t have to be so rigid, staying an extra 10 minutes to help someone who came in from work, for a quick fix is not a big deal, but where do we draw the line? Someone comes in 10 minutes to closing with a half dozen sets of regs and wants it serviced before his 8:00 am dive? Either you stay to do the job or you’re providing poor service?

Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    Showing up at your favorite restaurant 15 minutes before close and ordering a meal.... THAT is customer service.... when you are closed you are closed, when you are open you are open....
    -Tim
    While you are correct there is also the decency of not wanting to make the workers who have a life and family other than their jobs stay an hour late while I eat.

I suspect you?ve ingested alot of hidden spit in your food if thats the philosophy you prescribe to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    While you are correct there is also the decency of not wanting to make the workers who have a life and family other than their jobs stay an hour late while I eat.

I suspect you?ve ingested alot of hidden spit in your food if thats the philosophy you prescribe to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I get stuck and have to order food 15 minutes before closing.... I order and eat at fast as I can.... If closing is 10 and I'm there at 9:50 its not because it was planned that way. And it isn't like I'm at home where I can fix my own food.

You can however plan your dives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavão View Post
    Someone comes in 10 minutes to closing with a half dozen sets of regs and wants it serviced before his 8:00 am dive? Either you stay to do the job or you’re providing poor service?
    Getting regs serviced versus getting airfills really isn't a comparison.... poor planning on your part doesn't constitute and emergency on my part. Every situation is different but as an employee working in a service industry you HAVE to have flexibility to work with your customers. I'm not suggesting that if someone shows up with 10 cylinders all needing full fills should be serviced... but that there should be flexibility. Of course chronic violators get handled differently.

Ken's example (depending on the complexity of the fill) it would be good customer service to try and meet the request... or have a sign stating that fills stop 30 minutes before closing.
    Just like it was stated that some restaurants have a sign stating the kitchen closes at whatever time before the restaurant.