Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Peacock 1 and P3---> 9/22/18

We'd been out of the water several months due to a relocation from Jacksonville to st. Augustine, so it was really nice to dust off the gear and see some familiar faces.

First dive P1 up to the Olsen bypass. Didn't quite make the circuit so we turned and back tracked. We'd not been in this section before...very cool! Super clear water and conditions in that section were the best of the day. 90 min. Dive, max depth 69', 75' viz, low flow and the basin is high...up to the 3rd step at P1 and crystal clear to the bottom.

Dive 2 was at PIII. Scum on the surface but the outflow from P1 was leaving a nice clear/open spot to gear up. Viz was a consistent 30' with particulate and stringy crap that looked like some blonde chick had cleaned out her hair brush throughout the whole system. Siphon was nearly non-existent and made for an easy swim in and out. We swam up to the henley's castle jump, poked around awhile in the big room and turned to go home. Dive time was 75 min., max depth 79'.

Bring your HID lights...the LEDs suck in that cave.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good time. Just curious, why do LEDs suck in that particular cave?

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Sounds like a good time. Just curious, why do LEDs suck in that particular cave?
    LED light beams are too wide. HIDs have a much narrower beam, so it doesn't bounce off of as many particles in the water as an LED light. Is isn't just P3, any cave with a lot of particulate scatters light back, and tends to blind the diver. It is just worse with an LED light.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I got ya, thanks for clarifying.

Most of my diving is deep dark high particulate open water diving. So I guess I just don't notice that much of a difference in a cave since most of the time its way more clear than what I'm used to.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    LED light beams are too wide. HIDs have a much narrower beam, so it doesn't bounce off of as many particles in the water as an LED light. Is isn't just P3, any cave with a lot of particulate scatters light back, and tends to blind the diver. It is just worse with an LED light.
    Halcyons Focus works well in that stuff. It has a very tight beam so you dont get the all the backscatter typical with most LED lights

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    Halcyons Focus works well in that stuff. It has a very tight beam so you dont get the all the backscatter typical with most LED lights

That's the primary light I use the most.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    That's the primary light I use the most.
    No wonder you didn't understand why HIDs are better than most LEDs in murky water. the Focus isn't a normal LED light.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I've been using a Northern Light Scuba 40w LED super spot with special extra tight lenses installed aftermarket from NLS. It's tighter than my 21 and 24w Welch Allyn HIDs using EKPP reflectors ever were and I don't believe that any HID reflector made was tighter than the EKPP reflector. My NLS Super Spot has no problem signalling a buddy while scootering who has lost all attention of what is going on behind him in a cave.
    I still think that the NLS Super Spot is currently the best 40W LED for cave diving, and using the 4 step NLS Dimmer on it just makes it even better.

Michael